OG 8 points higher than supposed to be

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agbrewer03

Reaction score
I just brewed the CDA last night and my OG was 1.066 @ 74*F, so the corrected OG was 1.067. The instruction sheet said to expect around 1.059.

Am I still alright?

This is my second brew, so I don't know what the difference means. Will I want to look for a number a litter higher than the advertised 1.014 FG?

I noticed the sample was pretty dirty, as in a lot of sediment that got into the fermenter and was floating. Would this give me a higher reading?

If this is an extract brew, the reading is most likely due to incomplete mixing and is nothing to worry about. The correct reading is probably at or near what the instructions say.

This shouldn't impact your fg.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Home Brew mobile app

Is this a partial boil extract beer? If so I would ignore the SG reading. Chances are the wort didn't mix completely with the water. If you drew your sample from the bottom it was thicker and gave you a false high reading. It's nothing to worry about. The yeast will do all the final mixing for you during fermentation.

My yes sense since I was using DME. Much harder to mix good. Any reason to go DME over LME?

LME ages more quickly, leading to poor tasting beer. I keep a bag of DME on hand for when I need to up the OG of my all-grain batches.
I have read that some people prefer LME if you can get it fresh.
I personally don't have a preference.
I think the answers listed here regarding the +8 OG points are correct. Nothing to worry about.

Back