Off the mark on pre-boil volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylan42

Reaction score
I just got done brewing and I was way off on my boil volume, started with about 6.5 gal and I ended up with about six gallons of wort at the end of it all and this is for a 5 gal recipe Bourbon Barrel Porter. So as you could probably guess my OG was 1.056 when it should be 1.065. Im still going to go through with the process, but do you guys think it will be too watered down when its all said and done?

I just got done brewing and I was way off on my boil volume, started with about 6.5 gal and I ended up with about six gallons of wort at the end of it all and this is for a 5 gal recipe Bourbon Barrel Porter. So as you could probably guess my OG was 1.056 when it should be 1.065. Im still going to go through with the process, but do you guys think it will be too watered down when its all said and done?

You could have added some DME to the boil if you brewed an extract batch. I don't think the beer will be watered down, just a lower ABV for the style beer.

Are you sure you had a good rolling boil? Did you bil for 60 mins? .5 gallon per hour is pretty low.

CBMbrewer said:
Are you sure you had a good rolling boil? Did you bil for 60 mins? .5 gallon per hour is pretty low.

Dude I just went back to my notes I F'ed up haha. I was trying to make my tick marks for my new wooden boil vol stick. So that means I had 6.5 gal plus the 4 quarts of water I mashed the grains in. Yes this was an extract brew I just mashed the grains to get better extraction. :smack:

You could have added some DME to the boil if you brewed an extract batch. I don't think the beer will be watered down, just a lower ABV for the style beer.

There is about a cup of extra DME that got added when I pitched my starter. Im fine with a lower ABV I just didn't want that watered down taste. I wonder if there is something I can do when I rack it on top of the oak cubes with bourbon maybe?

There is about a cup of extra DME that got added when I pitched my starter. Im fine with a lower ABV I just didn't want that watered down taste. I wonder if there is something I can do when I rack it on top of the oak cubes with bourbon maybe?

Yes, that's probably the time to do 'something' if you want to. Taste it first though, it might be just fine. If you do add something, what should it be?
If it tastes 'thin' you could add DME. If you want to up the ABV, you could add sugar or honey. All of these will kick in the fermentation for a couple more days. Or, if you want to up the ABV and give it a different flavor, adding bourbon, another whiskey, or maybe rum would be an option.
But, taste it 1st and see if it's missing anything to your taste.

Yes, that's probably the time to do 'something' if you want to. Taste it first though, it might be just fine. If you do add something, what should it be?
If it tastes 'thin' you could add DME. If you want to up the ABV, you could add sugar or honey. All of these will kick in the fermentation for a couple more days. Or, if you want to up the ABV and give it a different flavor, adding bourbon, another whiskey, or maybe rum would be an option.
But, taste it 1st and see if it's missing anything to your taste.

Yeah Ill definitely taste it first, and per the recipe Im already adding bourbon whiskey, around week 5. I actually like my porters with a little thinner feel compared to the thicker feel that most beers of this style have. So hopefully it'll turn out just the way I like it.

It'll be lower ABV but it will not be too "watery" or "thin". Do what you wish when you taste it but I'd be very very surprised if it's notably watery or thin-bodied.

Back