Off Style Beer Recipes - Post it Here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlester

Reaction score
Please post your recipe for good beers that doesn't fit BJCP style guidelines. All off style recipes are welcome. Be sure to describe the beer in terms of color, flavor or anything you think would help us understand what you have achieved.

Have you brewed a good beer that doesn't fit a style guideline, is between styles or a combination of styles, and isn't available commercially? It can be a beer that you meant to be in a style guideline, failed to fit the guideline, but turned out to be really good. If so, could you post your recipe for the rest of us to try? I would like to start a post that you can go to for "Off Style Beers."

With the explosion of micro breweries and brewing many styles of beers at home, I can buy any style of beer and can brew any style of beer. However, I thought it would be a good idea to brew some beers that are creative, turned out really good and doesn't fit the BJCP Style Guidelines (that isn't a clone of a commercially available beer). I'll start with my Eise Beer that doesn't fit the guidelines but tastes awesome.

Cheers

My first attempt to ice a beer was on a Wee Heavy at 10% ABV aged on wood, which is not to style.

When I first made the beer, I let it sit on wood a couple weeks. I took a gallon of the Wee Heavy and froze it into a giant Icee. I turned the frozen beer upside down and within about 60-90 minutes I had a quarter gallon of what I believe to be 40% ABV (The ABV is directly related to the volume of liquids. If you know the ABV prior to fractional freezing, it's only a matter of math. If you reduce the volume by 75% with 25% remaining, divide the original ABV by the remaining percentage of the original volume, or 10%ABV/25% of original volume).

My friends and I took our first sip of my Ice Beer and...Holy cow it tasted awesome! It was like sipping on a nice Bourbon, seriously. My friends and I immediately contemplated how we could make more. A lot more...

Here is my original recipe. It is full of character, dry and slightly roasty after icing the final beer. I would let it sit for 30 days, or Ice it right away and let it sit a minimum of 30 days. However, it's best at 6-12 months. Young beer at a high ABV doesn't taste good. It needs to sit a while before drinking it.

Ferment at 55F to keep the hot liquor flavors to a minimum. If you ferment too high of a temperature, you'll get "hot liquor" flavors (nail polish remover).

Good Luck, and feel free to post your results, or opinions etc.,

09-E Scottish and Irish Ale, Strong Scotch Ale (Wee Heavy)
Min OG: 1.070 Max OG: 1.130
Min IBU: 17 Max IBU: 35
Min Clr: 14 Max Clr: 25 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 17.60
Anticipated OG: 1.091 Plato: 21.78
Anticipated SRM: 18.7
Anticipated IBU: 25.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82 %
Wort Boil Time: 180 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 10.91 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.050 SG 12.40 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
96.6 17.00 lbs. Pale Malt (Maris Otter) UK 1.038 4
3.4 0.60 lbs. Roasted Barley USA 1.033 300

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.75 oz. Fuggle Whole 4.75 25.7 60 min.

Yeast
-----
WYeast 1728 Scotish Ale

Water Profile
-------------
Profile: Reverse Osmosis
pH: 5.2

Near the end of mashing, pour off about 1 gallon of the wort and boil it alone until it caramelizes to almost a syrup. This will give the Wee Heavy its characteristics.

Mash-out Rest Temp : 158 Time: 60
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 30

Latest posts

Back