Odered my IPA Ingredients...malt backbone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brtisbuck

Reaction score
I will be brewing my American IPA this weekend. After weeks of tweeking I've come up with this:

5 gallon batch/full boil

12oz carapils
8oz crystal 75l
8oz carastan

7# extra light DME

1oz chinook (pellet) @60
.5oz summit (pellet) @15
.5oz willamette (pellet) @5
.5oz each willamette and summit @ flameout

SAF-05 yeast

OG - 1.063
FG - 1.016
IBU - 53
ABV - 6.1%

Do you think I have enough malt backbone to support the IBU's? I think my ratio is like .836.

Might be more interesting to break up the 1oz Chinook at 60 min into smaller staggered additions. Something like .5oz at 60, 15, and at 5 minutes would still give a lot of bitterness (a little less) and maybe a more interesting hop flavor and aroma.

Just some thoughts,
Kregg

I prefer different hops for my late additions and I would definitely dry hop an IPA as well.. and I don't try to balance the hops either I want them to stand out.

I think that you'll have enough body to balance the hops. I would drop the carastan though. The carapils and crystal 75 will give you enough non-fermentables. If you want to keep the carastan, then I'd reduce the total crystal/cara malts down to ~1 lb. I do all-grain and typically use a total of 1 lb of crystal malts for an DIPA that has a gravity ~1.075. And the hops should help with head retention.

I think that you'll have enough body to balance the hops. I would drop the carastan though. The carapils and crystal 75 will give you enough non-fermentables. If you want to keep the carastan, then I'd reduce the total crystal/cara malts down to ~1 lb. I do all-grain and typically use a total of 1 lb of crystal malts for an DIPA that has a gravity ~1.075. And the hops should help with head retention.

Thanks mucho for the input. This will be "my" first recipe and I'm still trying to get a good grasp on how to use the specialty malts for certain styles.

On week in the bottle. It is carbed up nicely already. It taste great young. It is kind of a mild AIPA. By that I mean nice hop flavor and strong aroma, but not punch you in the tongue bitter. It was dry hopped with just about 1/4 oz of each hop for 7 days. It attenuated out to just over 1.013 so I'm sitting around 6.4% abv.

Latest posts

Back