Odd floaters in my fermented but unbottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tacks

Reaction score
I was testing the gravity of a batch I did about two weeks ago and noticed a few floaters in the beer. I forgot to take a picture of them, but they are approximately 1.5-2 inches in diameter and look like the wiffle balls with holes all around them, not the ones with slots on one side. They have the consistency of trub, and I am wondering if they are due to the wheat and rye I had in the batch (recipe below). I have only seen these once before in my other batch that had rye in it so I'm wondering if maybe they are made of protein, or are possibly yeast that has yet to fall out. I am at my FG and have been sitting at it for 3 or 4 days now but they are still just floating around, can anyone clue me into what these may be?

Recipe -

8# American 2-row
1# flaked wheat
1# pale wheat
2# rye

US-33 pitched at 80*F and fermented at a stable 70*F for 2 weeks and a day.
OG 1.055 FG (current) 1.008

Sounds like yeast clumps. I see something like you describe sometimes when racking if I happen to touch the cake at the bottom.

Shouldn't be an issue and they should floc with a bit more time or colder temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Will cold crash to 55*F (as cold as I can get it in August here in Michigan since I don't have a keezer/ sizable refrigerator at my disposal) as suggested and see what happens, odd that this has only happened with my ryes though. Thanks, will update in a couple days.

Latest posts

Back