Octoberfest 2012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKeg81

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to Munich, Germany at the end of September 2012 and I'm hoping y'all can help me out. To anyone who has been or perhaps lives there/nearby....what MUST I see?

A few things that I've looked into are Neuschwanstein Castle, Kloster Andechs (might hit Paulaner too since it's on the way), Nymphenburg Palace, and Augustiner.

Thanks in advance! :mug:

I went in 2008 for it, was a blast. Places I'd recommend in or near munchen... Near the Ludwig castles check out ettal monastery they have good beer and schnapps. Need to see Dachau, and the residence (royal house) in Munich. English garden we watched a guy surf (google it) kinda cool to see once.
Hofbrauhaus in the. It's and octoberfest.
We also took a train to Salzburg and did a tour of the salt mine, we were going to hit eagles nest but it was too foggy.
Octoberfest itself was good for maybe 2-3 visits for a few hours each.

I went in 2008 for it, was a blast. Places I'd recommend in or near munchen... Near the Ludwig castles check out ettal monastery they have good beer and schnapps. Need to see Dachau, and the residence (royal house) in Munich.
We have some free time in there to just wander the city and do whatever we want. I'll be sure to look up the Dachau place. The residence is on the "possibility" list already. :D

English garden we watched a guy surf (google it) kinda cool to see once.
Hofbrauhaus in the. It's and octoberfest.
I saw pictures of the surfing. It reminded me of the wave pool on the cruise ship a few years back.

We also took a train to Salzburg and did a tour of the salt mine, we were going to hit eagles nest but it was too foggy.
I think our outdoorsy adventure is going to be hiking up to Neuschwanstein Castle and Mount Tegelburg, but I did see Salzburg mentioned.

Octoberfest itself was good for maybe 2-3 visits for a few hours each.
That's pretty much what we were thinking. We'd do a day time visit and a night time visit just to get a taste of both. We're probably going to do both during the week so that it's not as crowded.

Thanks for the replies.

If your into outdoorsy and hiking stuff, you may also want to check out the ruins of Ehrenberg, we saw them from the road when we were going to Linderhof to check out Ludwigs hunting lodge castle. Ehrenberg was pretty cool, it sits on 2 hills, we only went to the one site due to fog, but I would recommend both.
Dachau is an area outside of munich and was home to one of the concentration camps form the war. They rebuilt the site as a memorial and museum, it is free and well worth the visit.

If your into outdoorsy and hiking stuff, you may also want to check out the ruins of Ehrenberg, we saw them from the road when we were going to Linderhof to check out Ludwigs hunting lodge castle. Ehrenberg was pretty cool, it sits on 2 hills, we only went to the one site due to fog, but I would recommend both.
Dachau is an area outside of munich and was home to one of the concentration camps form the war. They rebuilt the site as a memorial and museum, it is free and well worth the visit.

Thanks man. I will check out and see what I can find on Ehrenberg.

Latest posts

Back