oats as basemalt in stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJstout

Reaction score
ive been reading about all oat beers so i was thinking of making a mostly oat stout.

9pounds oats
2pounds 2row
1pound roasted barley

Theoretically I agree with lumpher; but I would love to hear the details about how this goes. I think we do a lot of things just because that is the way it has been, not necessarily what is possible/good.
Why sweet? Do oats have only long-chain sugars that yeast can't eat?
Why foamy? Oats have a lot of oils that will kill head, no?
My only concern would be what kind of oats. If you used instant oats the starches would be partially converted already, so that should help efficiency.

Oat is an adjunct. Adjunct grains are more about texture than flavor. But if you want to, no one will stop you.

If you use oat malt as a base and have a few pounds of 2row to help with conversion, sure. Flaked oats just won't work for what you want. Not enough diastatic power to convert.

I seem to remember a blog about a SMaSH oat malt/Mt. Rainier APA. Didn't seem to turn out that great, though.

Latest posts

Back