Oatmeal Stout Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjai21

Reaction score
So I brewed an oatmeal stout about 1 week ago. Its been in the primary for 9 days (have read 1-2 weeks). I dont have a secondary and have read that it doesnt really need secondary. Read it should be in secondary for 2 weeks. Should i keep in the primary longer?

Most will say that using a secondary is an outdated process. There seems to be no real benefit but some downsides, such as possible introduction to bacteria and such.

My Oatmeal Stout stayed in the primary due to some unexpected delays for almost 4 weeks ! It was a recipe from Beer & BBQ Lary from his live steam brew Day ! It's been in the keg for about 4 weeks and it's just gotten better ! It was a direct transfer fro Fermenter to keg, this is why I haven't done secondary for some time ! My IPA's have jumped to a second level of freshness from cutting down on the oxygen from moving it around post fermentation ! And no more cleaning a 2nd Fermenter 😀

A "standard" strength oatmeal stout will be good in 2 weeks. I just did one, and fermentation activity visually subsided well before that, but gotta give it time to "clean up" (2 weeks is my standard ale fermentation time anyway). Also, like everyone else is saying, secondary is unnecessary, and possibly detrimental, unless you're long term aging.

Back