Oatmeal Stout Recipe Help??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
I'm putting together my first AG Oatmeal Stout recipe, and could use a little help. In addition to about 8 lbs. of M.O. and 1 lb. each of Flaked Oats and C120, I've got 14oz. of Roasted Barley, and 4 oz. ea. of Chocolate Malt and Black Patent.
I'm also tossing 1 1/2 oak spirals and 2 vanilla beans that are soaking in bourbon.

My question is, am I overdoing it with using all three specialty grains?

I think you can scale back on the roast barley - i would say no more than 6 oz in this case. You'd be surprised how far such little amounts of those grains go.

i would scale back the roasted barley as well, and maybe eliminate the chocolate or black patent.

mash temp?

Don't knock back the Roasted at all. It's still a Stout. I'd omit the chocolate and black patent. Even though descended from Porter, Stout is not Porter; the flavor of Black Patent malt is (should be!) distinctive to Robust Porter. Roasted Barley is (should be!) the distinctive roasted-grain flavor of Stout of all types.

I'd also knock back the C120L by half. I don't mind 10% crystal malt in stout (well, I do in Dry Irish Stout), but 10% C120L will easily overwhelm.

If I were you, I'd omit the vanilla and other stuff, too. Get yourself a good, solid beer before you go adding exotic flavors.

Cheers! :mug:

Bob

I'm not a fan of Black Patent but your recipe looks fine otherwise.

Jamil Z uses 12 oz of C90, 12 oz of Chocolate, 12 oz of Roasted Barley and 12 oz of Victory FWIW.

also, watch your mash pH. if you're using soft-ish water, that much roasted/crystal is gonna sink the pH. could leave you with an acidic bite to the beer.

Back