Oatmeal question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirkwooder

Emperor of all things nobody cares about
Reaction score
Would someone please explain to me what oatmeal adds to a beer recipe? I know it is mostly used in stout. If I understand it properly, it adds a creaminess to the body of stouts. I'm not really a stout fan and the few stouts that I have tried I couldn't really pick out anything that I would attribute to the oatmeal.

I ask because I am wondering if some could be added to a cream ale recipe to make it more Creamy?

Probably a stupid question but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for in any of my books, and Google gives me a billion hits about stouts and recipes for stouts.

Thanks.

Your guess was right. Adds body/texture, head retention and a creamy mouthfeel. Some of the better IPAs here on the east coast use 5-15% of flaked oats for just this reason. It does tend to add a haziness to the beer as well, though.

A little bit (quarter/half pound) would probably still be considered "to-style" in a cream ale.

You could add it to a cream ale but lactose is where cream ales get their name and body.

If you still want to bump up the mouthfeel for a cream ale, but don't want to lose clarity, I've found that Cara-Pils or Dextrine malt works pretty well.

If you still want to bump up the mouthfeel for a cream ale, but don't want to lose clarity, I've found that Cara-Pils or Dextrine malt works pretty well.

Won't both of those also increase the malt profile as well? I'm looking to add to the mouth feel without upping the malt profile. I am trying to up the mouth feel and head retention, and still have a beer that is light and fizzy.

I may be chasing a ghost, but hey, why not?

Thanks for the help by the way.

I've never had the Dextrine malt get too malty for me, but your mileage may vary. Flaked barley might work, too, but I've never tried that one.

Carapils/Carafoam/Dextrine Malt will add just a slight light honey taste, but its really not all that noticeable. It does aid a lot in head retention.

Latest posts

Back