Oatmeal into a cooper stout extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powtownbrew

Reaction score
Im going to be brewing a 5gal batch of cooper stout in a few days thinking about this recipe....

1 can coopers stout malt extract (1kg dextrose needed)
1 pkg of caramel roasted barley (500gr)
1 lb of pan fried oatmeal
9 1/2 oz of molasses
cooper yeast came with extract

any suggestions on this brewing friends? should I add a little less dextrose because of the molasses?

My recommendation would be to skip the dex and replace it with dry malt extract, I ruined my 2nd beer adding the kg of dex the kit called for. Also, for the real oatmeal effect you'll need to do a mash.

Steep them for 30 min at 155 with the caramel barley in 1-2 gal of water, then proceed with the kit. Just guessing, but that sounds good to me.

Im going to be brewing a 5gal batch of cooper stout in a few days thinking about this recipe....

1 can coopers stout malt extract (1kg dextrose needed)
1 pkg of caramel roasted barley (500gr)
1 lb of pan fried oatmeal
9 1/2 oz of molasses
cooper yeast came with extract

any suggestions on this brewing friends? should I add a little less dextrose because of the molasses?

Don't do oatmeal as it won't be fermentable unless it is mashed. 9.5oz of molasses is a lot of molasses. I have no idea what caramel roasted barley is.

My suggestion is to do the kit as is but replace the dextrose with dry malt extract or maybe something like turbinado sugar (or a combo of both) And swap out the kit yeast if possible.

Try a partial mash maybe?

Mash the oatmeal with 4 - 5 pounds of 2row (toss in the caramel roast too I suppose) and ditch the dextrose completely.

I've never used molasses in beer before so I make no recommendations.

Lately partial mashing using a Coopers kit for the LME and bittering addition has been my go to brewing method. Most of these have been stouts using the Coopers OS stout as a base.

thanks DaNewf its funny i was just watching a video on partial mashing and yes that is exactly what im going to do for my oats and caramel barley. I live is a small town and i have actually order in some grain for my next batch but this batch i was going to substitute the dex with DME and accordingly since dex is 100% fermentable and DME is 55 - 75%. Im going to cut the molasses to 5oz as well.

Im going to deffinatly do some sort of bittering any good suggestions that would taste well in an oatmeal caramel stout?

This forum is awsome thanks everyone for the inspiration!

For the partial mashes I've done with the Coopers Stout I didn't do any hop additions. The Coopers Stout LME is prebittered to an acceptable level (for my taste) and I wasn't looking for any hop aroma or flavour.

I did a partial mash based off a Coopers English Bitter and used Fuggles for a flavor and aroma addition. The recipe I used called for East Kent Goldings but the Fuggles were a lot cheaper at my LHBS and from what I read Fuggles were an acceptable substitution. I don't know if that was the best choice but I enjoyed the end result.

Back