Oaking Whites Wines: How Much to Add

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtogio

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Wanted to ask if anyone had a good idea on how much oak chips you would want to add to a dry white during secondary. I have never oaked a white before, but I assume the ratio is similar to reds (23 oz per 6 gallons)?

Oak is waaaaaaaay too subjective to have any amount as a "recipe".

This falls into the "art" of winemaking and it is up to you as the winemaker to add as much or as little as you want.

Oak is waaaaaaaay too subjective to have any amount as a "recipe".

This falls into the "art" of winemaking and it is up to you as the winemaker to add as much or as little as you want.

While this is very true, I feel like with a dry white you are better off starting conservative that accidentally over-doing it.

You can always leave it on oak longer or add a few more chips.

I use the medium oak spirals and use two of them in 6 gallons per the directions which state one per 3 gallons.

Here are some really important questions:
What type of wine is it? Oak can easily dominate/overpower a delicate white wine.
What type of oak do you plan on using?
Do you plan on using chips, cubes, spirals, stave?
Light toasted american oak would be my choice, but add a small amount at a time, 2 oz in a 5 gallon carboy will get you close to the same amount as using a fresh barrel, plus, the various types of oak (chips, cubes, spirals, stave) impart their "oakiness" at different rates/speed.

This is what you have to decide before adding any oak.

Latest posts

Back