Oak- volume or weight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
Sorry for the noob question.
Making a old ale, based on Founders old curmudgeon recipe.
the recipe is for 5.5 gallon and calls for 2.5 Oz of oak in secondary.
Using American Light Toast, which will soaked in bourbon.

I have always been confused Using oak, do you use volume or weight?
As you can see they are quite different.
2.5 Oz of weight seems like a lot.
2.5 Oz of volume seems too little.

many advice is appreciated

55A4CFCA-7FA0-4EE2-8591-C02295C35076.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks.
I was talking it out with SWMBO, when I read your response aloud. She felt this is a lot of oak, (although she is not a brewing, she was sitting by supporting my habit). I assured her if Yooper said it, it is as good as gospel !

thanks!

Attachments

• 012BE7AC-4595-4BA4-876A-63A534553FCC.jpeg
    012BE7AC-4595-4BA4-876A-63A534553FCC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
Oh, it's alot of oak! I use more like 3 ounces per 5 gallons in red wine, though. And it's usually not quite enough. But you can always add more, and you can't take it out once it's in there. I'm assuming you'll age that beer, and that will make a smooth oak flavor with time.

I did an oaked arrogant bastard clone about 10 years ago. I used only 1 ounce of oak for 3 gallons. (American medium toast). It was screaming OAK for about 6 months. Within a year, though, the beer smoothed out and was one of my best ever.

If you're worried about it, you can use less and taste in 10 days and see if you want to add more or not.

Edited to add- since you're soaking it in bourbon (I didn't), much of the oakiness will end up in the bourbon. You can always add the oak without the bourbon at first, and reserve the liquid for adding later for more bourbon and oak flavor.

Latest posts

Back