Oak Infusion Spirals in an Imp. Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wsmitty

Reaction score
Greetings all. Here is a recipe for my imperial brown ale that I'm going to brew soon for just the second time. The first batch turned out fantastic, so I thought why not continue to improve it. Here's the recipe:

Type: All-Grain
Batch size: 5.5 gallons
Yeast : Safale S-04
Starter: No

Grain Bill:

14 lbs Maris Otter Pale Malt
1 lb Victory Malt
1 lb Biscuit Malt
1 lb Aromatic Malt
.5 lb Crystal 60L
.5 lb Chocolate Malt

Hops:

1 oz. Magnum - 60 mins
1 oz Fuggles - 30 mins
1 oz East Kent Goldings - 15 mins

The first batch turned turned out great. Malty, nutty, biscuity, with a bit of booziness at the finish, which I liked. However, for this next batch, I also bought two Frenck oak infusion spirals to use later in secondary. I believe these are mostly used with home winemaking, but I thought they'd go nicely with this brew. Has anyone ever used oak infusion spirals in a brew?

Greetings all. Here is a recipe for my imperial brown ale that I'm going to brew soon for just the second time. The first batch turned out fantastic, so I thought why not continue to improve it. Here's the recipe:

Type: All-Grain
Batch size: 5.5 gallons
Yeast : Safale S-04
Starter: No

Grain Bill:

14 lbs Maris Otter Pale Malt
1 lb Victory Malt
1 lb Biscuit Malt
1 lb Aromatic Malt
.5 lb Crystal 60L
.5 lb Chocolate Malt

Hops:

1 oz. Magnum - 60 mins
1 oz Fuggles - 30 mins
1 oz East Kent Goldings - 15 mins

Don't want to derail your thread or anything, but had a quick couple questions about your Imperial Brown Ale if you don't mind. What temp did you mash? And what were your IBU's?........seems to work out to about 75-76 IBU when I put it in.....does this seem right? I know it's a fairly high FG, so the bitterness is probably needed to balance it. Was thinking about making something similar to age a little while.

Don't want to derail your thread or anything, but had a quick couple questions about your Imperial Brown Ale if you don't mind. What temp did you mash? And what were your IBU's?........seems to work out to about 75-76 IBU when I put it in.....does this seem right? I know it's a fairly high FG, so the bitterness is probably needed to balance it. Was thinking about making something similar to age a little while.

My target mash temp was 152 F, but I slightly overshot it at 154. I have no complaints with the result, though. My IBUs in beersmith were at 51. I found it to be pretty balanced.

Cheers!

Sounds tasty! Post up some photos.

Here's all the photos from the first batch. I'll upload new ones from the new batch once I brew.

Cheers!

image.jpeg

Back