Oak Barrel Fermenting - Advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieFierce

Reaction score
I received a beautiful 6 gal Vadai Hungarian Oak Barrel for Xmas. After opening and reading the instructions it seems that this barrel is really designed for wine (which I do NOT make).
I would love nothing more than to ferment some Porters or even some IPA's in this thing!
My question(s) are: Are there certain barrel designs better suited for beer over wine?
My Barrel has a single bung midway on the largest circumference of the barrel.... Siphoning will be my only way in and out.... Is this ok? What about cleaning and sanitation? Im assuming yes since a regular glass carboy is quite the same.
Also.....my barrel came with a wood stopper and a rubber stopper. Neither gives any sort of ability to breathe. Even as a secondary....an air lock is needed right? You can't just seal it up!!!
Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. Any of you guys out there ferment with these barrels?
Thanks a ton!!!

Heres a link to my barrel!
http://morebeer.com/products/barrel-oak-vadai-hungarian-23l-61gal.html

Latest posts

Back