Oak aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonA

Reaction score
My wife likes the Winter Woodchuck Cider that is aged with oak, and I think I want to try that.

I was planning on starting with a pretty standard cider recipe (5.5 gallons of Cider, 2 lbs dextrose, nottingham yeast, and backsweetening at bottling time using frozen concentrate)...

I was planning on racking it onto oak cubes for a secondary. How long should I let it sit on the oak to get the best flavor?

I asked this question a little while ago and didn't get too much help.

I have a batch of strong (~11% abv) cider, and I just added about 3 ounces of medium toast Hungarian oak cubes. I'm going to taste it in a month or so, and go from there. From what I've read, you want to leave a strongly flavored beer (RIS, barleywine, etc.) on the cubes for ~3 months, but I'm not sure how long the cider needs. I do plan to age the cider for at least 6-8 months after I bottle, so if the oak flavor is too strong it should mellow out a bit.

Definitely go with cubes over chips.

Back