Nylon washer missing; problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMeThatBeer

Reaction score
Just filled my first keg; all went well, i think- but after reading around, looks like im missing the nylon washer between the beer line and shank(door mounted tap).

Am i doomed to a leaky system, or some kind of impossibly stuck connections. Guess ive got 2 weeks before liquid flows. Just curious what the washer does, and can i survive without it. ( note: im obviously very lazy, and avoid hardware stores at all costs)
-beermethatbeer

If there's a washer involved, you must be referring to a tail piece connection to a shank. If so, that's essentially a flare fitting and it totally depends on a washer of some sort to seal. You could slather on pipe dope or use an entire roll of tape on that fitting and it won't seal, because the threads have nothing to do with the seal.

Get a washer. A neoprene one would do fine...

Cheers!

Great, thanks. Good news is that i found the washer in the box for my conversion kit.

And yes, that is what i meant; washer that goes on the end of the shank; at the end of the beer line. (Instuctions call it a washer at least)

Cant wait to drink it; glad to know it wont leak everywhere!

Back