Nutritional effects of fruit in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suthrncomfrt1884

Reaction score
So, a question came up today between a few friends and I. We were discussing the fiber content of different fruits (apricots, prunes, etc.) and it's effects on beer.

Does anyone know how much, if any, of the fruits' nutrional value makes it into our beers? Is it adding fiber, or does the yeast strip it of this? Maybe this should be posted in the science section...?

We were wondering...If I made a prune beer, would you end up with a laxative effect?

Anyone have an answer to this?

I can't say about the prune juice, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the vitamins and antioxidants contained in the fruit leach into the brew. Beer was long assumed to be a fortified beverage before they had any way of actually verifying it. Unfortunately I think its illegal to claim that beer is nutritious

The fiber would be filtered or left for trub. Most likely no fiber, and very little nutrients except yeast. BTW...beer is a laxative.;) I use gnc mega men sport multi's and they do the trick along with some green veggies.

The fiber would be filtered or left for trub. Most likely no fiber, and very little nutrients except yeast. BTW...beer is a laxative.;) I use gnc mega men sport multi's and they do the trick along with some green veggies.

Thanks! This is about what I figured. I'm making an Apricot Belgian Blonde this weekend, and was wondering if people would end up in the bathroom faster than usual...

Back