Nut brown ale - No Columbus hops included!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmosu

Reaction score
I was just about to get started brewing my first batch of beer when I noticed that the columbus hops packet was not included in my nut brown ale from brewers best.

Can I brew this w/out the columbus hops, or will it ruin everything? It is the first packet of hops you need to put in.

Thanks!

The first addition is generally where the majority of your bitterness comes from. Without them the balance will likely be off, and lean a lot more toward the malty side. The first addition, probably at 60 min, doesn't generally lend much to hop flavor or hop aroma, but the change in balance without any bitterness will lead to some changes.

What hops do you have on hand? I would pick a bittering hop to replace Columbus and not worry about it.

I'm not a fan of 'hoppy' beer, but it sounds like I should probably wait to do this until I have the columbus hops.

What hops do you have on hand? I would pick a bittering hop to replace Columbus and not worry about it.

I have two bags of 1 oz. Willamette hops.

Per the instructions,

Columbus Hops - Go in right away.

1st bag of Willamette hops goes in after 40 min.

2nd bag of Willamette hops goes in with 5 min. left.

Umm I'd move the 40 to 60 or get more hops. It could turn out too malty.

Back