Nugget Fuggles Chocolate Stout w/ oak & bourbon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianmatth

Reaction score
I made another stout. I based the malt profile on Founders KBS.

13 lbs 2-row
1 lbs Flaked oats
3/4 lb Roasted barley
3/4 lb Chocolate malt
1/2 lb Blackprinz malt
1/2 lb 120L crystal malt

7.5 gallons of 155* water with 3 tsp of gypsum for a 75 minute mash at 150* resulted in a pH of 5.48 at room temperature. I drained 2 gallons into my kettle and added 2.5 gallons of boiling water for a step mash/sparge at 168* then filled 5.5 gallons for a total of 7.5 gallons. I ended up with 5.5 gallons after the boil and 6 gallons after adding my WLP004 Irish Stout starter (didn't have time to crash the yeast out)

1 oz Nugget @ 60 minutes
2 oz Fuggles @ 20 minutes
2.5 oz Semi-sweet chocolate @ 20 minutes
1.5 oz 100% cacao baking bar @ 20 minutes
1 tablet Whirlfloc @ 20 minutes
2 oz Fuggles @ 5 minutes
1.065 OG, 73 IBU
Pitched ~300 cells WLP004

I'm probably going to split this in half after primary fermentation and add oak chips and bourbon to one half. I'm sure this will be another great stout. I also figured out how to fit an 8g N2O cartride in my Tap-A-Draft regulator...15 pennies...so it will have the Guiness-like head.

Gravity is down to 1.024 after 6 days. The WLP004 isn't nearly as powerful or fast as most of the other yeasts I use.

I ended up splitting the batch last week. I have 3 gallons on oak, 1.5 gallons carbonating in a Tap-A-Draft bottle, and pitched a little bit of WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale Yeast on the rest of it to see if I can get the gravity a little lower. It tastes great at 1.024 though.

This was a big hit at my sister's wedding this weekend. Definitely my best stout yet. I'm sure the 3 gallons on the oak chips will be even better.

Split the 3 gallons on the oak chips into two 1.5 gallon Tap-A-Draft bottles. Gravity was down to 1.014. Added 2 oz of Colonel E.H. Taylor Small Batch Bourbon to one of the bottles.

The non-bourboned stout came out great. Once my Tap-A-Draft bottle is finished, I'll be breaking out the bourboned batch.

Latest posts

Back