Novice Try anything recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrew93

Reaction score
Well I made one batch and I liked it of a regular cider kind of recipe. Here I kept more specific notes on what I was doing. It's really a mashup. I hope it turns out well.

Fruit Beer recipe

1 bannana

1 nectarine

2 large red delictious apple

4 small clementines

1 wedge watermelon (about 5 inches at the base)

1 kiwi

1 lemon

10 oz brown sugar

1 cup white sugar

Anyone here have thoughts in how it will turn out?

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it a fruit beer either. To my understanding, beer is made from grain. A fruit beer would contain fermented grains, usually with secondary fermentation on fruit. I don't know what I would call this...clean-out-the-fridge cider? LOL I hope it turns out better than it sounds. What yeast are you using in it?

Would it be a schnapps? No, maybe not, that would have to be distilled. Probably closer to "Kilju" or Pruno prision wine. I would stick to a forgiving yeast. Maybe SO5 or a kviek.

Hi guys thanks for the input. I used Red Star Cote des Blancs Wine Yeast, 5 Gram I added an extra cup of brown sugar somewhere along the line when things seemed to peter out with the fermenting. It's completely still now and I tasted it to get an idea of the flavor. Based on how I percieve it I think that bannana and watermelon adds a very heavy note in the backdrop of teh mix and the kiwi also ferments out heavy in the overall taste.

I might add just a hint of bannana to a regular apple recipe in the future if I was going for that heavy effect to be there. Am thinking about wether to sweeten it or leave as is. If I sweetend I only want to use a little sweetner maybe like some molasses or a bit of sugar. But I am not even sure I want to do that.

This is only my second run, so I am just playing around to see what happens. Eventually I'll get to what it is I want to do.

Hi guys thanks for the input. I used Red Star Cote des Blancs Wine Yeast, 5 Gram I added an extra cup of brown sugar somewhere along the line when things seemed to peter out with the fermenting. It's completely still now and I tasted it to get an idea of the flavor. Based on how I percieve it I think that bannana and watermelon adds a very heavy note in the backdrop of teh mix and the kiwi also ferments out heavy in the overall taste.

I might add just a hint of bannana to a regular apple recipe in the future if I was going for that heavy effect to be there. Am thinking about wether to sweeten it or leave as is. If I sweetend I only want to use a little sweetner maybe like some molasses or a bit of sugar. But I am not even sure I want to do that.

This is only my second run, so I am just playing around to see what happens. Eventually I'll get to what it is I want to do.
If you add more sugar or molasses, it will just start fermenting again unless you kill the yeast. And if you put it in bottles after adding the sugar it will carbonate. But it won't sweeten it because the sugar will ferment into alcohol and CO2. You can use a non-sugar sweetener instead, like xylitol or erythritol.

Thanks for the reply. I have read about the bottle bomb nightmares and want to avoid. But doesnt the yeast die when the alcohol content reaches the maximum it can tolerate? I could of course pasturise it. But do I have to. Don't yeasts die?

End result is about 96 fluid ounces and a small jar as well I dont know how much it holds. But it is id say maybe about 20 fl oz? What makes you ask?

Just wondering about what that would of turned out like. The amount of sugar seemed low for a wine over a gallon, but since you called it a bidet/beer it would be about right for a couple gallons, but would be very light in flavor.

Thanks for the reply. I have read about the bottle bomb nightmares and want to avoid. But doesnt the yeast die when the alcohol content reaches the maximum it can tolerate? I could of course pasturise it. But do I have to. Don't yeasts die?
What makes you think you are at the maximum alcohol tolerance of your yeast? I didn't see any info about SG readings to indicate the amount of potential alcohol and ABV at the end. Yeasts die eventually, of course, when they have nothing to eat for a while. But at the end of typical fermentations, they are just dormant. When more sugar is added, they wake up and start fermenting again.

Back