Nottingham Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By "dumped" I hope you mean into your stomach! ;)

Honestly, the beer is so bad that I can't bring myself to drink it. I can deal with drinking beer that doesn't taste great, but this is a whole different level of bad. If you want, you are more than welcome to come and get it, but honestly I could use the 22oz bottles that it's in for something else right now.

Thanks for the frank comments on this forum, and to alerting us to the fermentation problems of this batch of Nottingham several weeks ago. Just a bit more on the cause of the problem in case some of you haven't seen this posted elsewhere.

Our subsequent investigations have shown that in the packaging process of Nottingham batch #1081140118V, the device used to imprint the lot number and expiration date caused tiny punctures in the sachet packaging material, allowing air to get into the package. Prolonged contact with air will affect the performance of the yeast, resulting in changes in fermentation performance over time. This has affected a minority of the yeast sachets in this batch but as a precaution we have decided to replace the entire batch of Nottingham sachets. This was an isolated incident and prior and subsequent batches were not affected. The printing device has been upgraded with a different type of printing ribbon to prevent a reoccurrence.

We again apologize to those who have been affected by this problem and hope you will continue to use Danstar yeast in the future.

Keith Lemcke
Danstar & Lalvin Yeast

I think it probably goes further than that. I have a batch 1080360088V with 08-2010 date that did the exact same thing (in a different beer, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale) as the 1081140118V batch I had that I needed to pitch on a yeast cake since it didn't take off within 72 hours. Just shy of 72 hours before any action at all and the basement smelled to high heaven. I don't know if it has made a bad beer or not yet as I need to bottle it this weekend. I've got the package here and I can see the text that imprinted the info embossed the package enough you can see the text from the inside of the packet. Side by side with an unopened packet from the bad batch, the imprinting is just as severe. I could have potentially 13 gallons of beer ruined and I am not in the least bit happy about it.

Replacing bad yeast packets is all fine and dandy, but when $20-$50 of ingredients have been ruined per batch because of $3 yeast, it is irrelevant.

+1 to Daddymem, my Nottingham for my Wee Heavy was from the same batch as yours (88V). So far, though, the worst I've had is the slow start. I did have fermentation within 36 hours, however, initially the yeast smelled "off" when I rehydrated. Secondly, I have no idea of the taste. So far, no awful smell. The fermenting beer does have a decent smell to it, but after reading all of the posts, I'm concerned about the outcome based on the fact that the yeast had a smell to it initially that just didn't seem quite right. However, being new to brewing, I assumed that things were fine and that because it was a different yeast than I had used before that it must be okay... this is, after all, the mighty Nottingham we're talking about. But, if the beer is awful and doesn't get better with age, then yes, I'm none to happy as well. Maybe the wee heavy isn't the most expensive kit from Northern Brewer, but it's not the cheapest, either.

Take a look at the inside of your package. Different text characters embossed at a different rate on mine. Some appear to almost go all the way through the package and some aren't visible from the underside at all. I'll bet each package could be a different case...did a letter puncture the package? Did two? Did a whole word? Probably makes a difference between packets from the same batch even.

Iv'e just thrown away 20 litres of bitter made with 1080360088V exp 08-2010 it was undrinkable , worse even just bottled another batch using the same yeast and again its with a horrible smell , nothing as changed in my process and the manufacturer says there has been no complaints on this batch, pity I bought 10 packets of Nottingham I dare'nt risk using the others. on mine the characters of text are very deep as well .

Bummer - I was just about to try making Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale w/ Notty (never used Notty before) and came across this thread.... Does anyone have an opinion on what would be a similar (flavor profile wise) substitute made by Wyeast? Maybe 1275?

Bummer - I was just about to try making Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale w/ Notty (never used Notty before) and came across this thread.... Does anyone have an opinion on what would be a similar (flavor profile wise) substitute made by Wyeast? Maybe 1275?

I use any clean yeast to sub for it. WLP001, 1056, S-05...

That is the nice thing about Notty... it isnt that "special", and the clean yeasts are all pretty equal.

I must say although Notty ruined a batch of mine, I had one pack of old Notty and pitched it into Orfy's Mild Mannered ale and had visible signs of fermentation in 8 hours and it has really taken off.

I kegged the Blond I made 9/6/2009 the other day, which I made plenty of times. Fermented at 58-62F and it usually clears < 2 weeks. It is highly drinkable on bottling day even without the C02. Well, not this time.

It's cloudy, smells and tastes like apples, and the yeast sludge was identical to apfelwein sludge.

Is it even salvageable? Has anyone repitched and had good results or is this a lost cause?

Sucks because I made it for my old man who's coming to visit in a month. It's his favorite beer that I make and I wanted him to try it on my new kegerator. Darn you Nottingham. :-(

Is it even salvageable? Has anyone repitched and had good results or is this a lost cause?

I had like that from a bad pack of notty, and its just now getting kinda drinkable after 3 months in cold storage in the kegerator, it's finally starting to clear as well. Its not "good" by any means, but at least drinkable.

I had like that from a bad pack of notty, and its just now getting kinda drinkable after 3 months in cold storage in the kegerator, it's finally starting to clear as well. Its not "good" by any means, but at least drinkable.
Sounds like it's just ruined, huh? I might keep it around for awhile, but if I need a keg, I'm dumping it. It's a shame.

Well I guess I won't be using this packet.

Here's pictures of what seems to be the problem.

The first one is just to show the date and batch #

DPP_0763.jpg

and here's a light & shadow to show the possible "holes" caused by the numbers going too deep into the plastic.

*Notice on the right hand side, looks like there are 9 pin holes.*

DPP_0762.jpg

So I have seven packets that I wont be using and decided to open one of them . first the smell was all wrong for a nottingham and grains of yeast where clinging to the sides as if there was moisture in there.
and the letters from the other side especially on the' K' of denmark where nearly punched all the way through along with some other smaller holes ?
i took a picture but I dont know how to up load it

Well, out of 5 packets of batch #1080360088V exp 08-2010, I have one left that I did not use. I guess I'll try sending it back, but that really does suck. I've been trying to find out what was wrong with my procedure all of the sudden and it turned out to be the yeast. The last beer I made with this was a blonde Ale that had so much banana my SWMBO thought I had made a hefe when she first tried it!

So I have seven packets that I wont be using and decided to open one of them . first the smell was all wrong for a nottingham and grains of yeast where clinging to the sides as if there was moisture in there.
and the letters from the other side especially on the' K' of denmark where nearly punched all the way through along with some other smaller holes ?
i took a picture but I dont know how to up load it

Put the picture on a photo site like Photobucket or flickr...
Copy your link. Click on the little yellow "insert image" then paste the link of your picture. That's it.

Well, out of 5 packets of batch #1080360088V exp 08-2010, I have one left that I did not use. I guess I'll try sending it back, but that really does suck. I've been trying to find out what was wrong with my procedure all of the sudden and it turned out to be the yeast. The last beer I made with this was a blonde Ale that had so much banana my SWMBO thought I had made a hefe when she first tried it!

Don't send that one back. Right now they are only accepting packets with the batch #1081140118V.

I hope they spot this new batch problem. Hell, I live 10 minutes away from the company. I may just go knocking at their door with it. In the meantime, I'll be using US-05 instead.

I have a stupid idea. Suppose after hydrating the yeast, you fill up the satchel with water. If there is a leak, it should be somewhat evident.

I think this problem goes back quite a few generations. I did not have any of the recall batch number, but I did have yeast that expired 08-2010 another that expires in 09-2010.

The yeast in my bad blonde definitely was one of those.

I'm planning on using Notty for the first time for a Raspberry Chocolate Stout based on the BYO Fuller Double Chocolate Stout clone. I'm using 3# of homegrown berries and plan and giving these as gifts so I really don't wanna screw it up.

My packet doesn't match the recall but I just took some closeup pictures and it looks like it might be punctured.

What do you guys think? Should I just pitch with US-05 or pick up a packet of US-04?

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/daveotero/IMG_3029.jpg
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/daveotero/IMG_3032.jpg

I'm planning on using Notty for the first time for a Raspberry Chocolate Stout based on the BYO Fuller Double Chocolate Stout clone. I'm using 3# of homegrown berries and plan and giving these as gifts so I really don't wanna screw it up.

My packet doesn't match the recall but I just took some closeup pictures and it looks like it might be punctured.

What do you guys think? Should I just pitch with US-05 or pick up a packet of US-04?

I'm pretty sure my bad batch was either from 09-2009 or 08-2009.

I would use US-05 to be on the safe side.

This is such a simple fix, I can't believe its still happening. I'm a little surprised that they would use a printer that impacts the packaging.

I would use US-05

Open the yeast and rehydrate as normal then turn the package inside out and hold it up to a bright light. If you don;t see any pinholes you may be safe. Or just us s-05, but im atleast gonnna try this with my packet.

Maybe it is coincidental but out of all the beers and ciders I have made, only the ones with Nottingham were bad. They all have a foul off taste that nothing I have ever made has.

I have 3 packs left, I'm scared to use them. I have $150 in bad notty beer and cider I still haven't tossed. My beers with S-04 were great and it is supposed to be a simular strain.

What gets me is they won't admit there are other batches that have the issue.

Admitting fault, costs money my friend.

I am all S-05 and S-04 from here on out. Danstar is like the United Airlines of yeast now.

I am all S-05 and S-04 from here on out. Danstar is like the United Airlines of yeast now.

No more Nottingham for me ... time to change horses...Hall0 S-05 (which started in 4 hours with a regular Cream Ale kit, but Notty took 3.5 days !!)

UGH!!! I Just brewed my very first beer...you guessed it I used nottingham. No more yeast except some wine yeast and the brerw store is an hour away. Hopefully mine works

I was in my LHBS yesterday (the guy in Havertown, for you Philly area brewers). He advised that all the old Nottingham yeast regardless of batch number has been pulled and he only has new stock. I said that I will try Nottingham again once my supply of S-04 and 05 is used up.

I did note that Nottingham is still $2.00 (US) while Safale has jacked their price up to something like $4.75.

I can get SafAle here for $2... and my LHBS charges $2.30/lb for crystal malts, so they arent cheap by any means. Is it Safale - Lallemand (sp) that is jacking the price, or the store? That is over double what I pay...

FWIW, IMHO... Id rather spend an extra buck on yeast, than lose an entire batch because I am rolling the dice with Nottingham. People have reported problems with more than just this one batch #, so I am not going to risk using Notty just because the mfg. sayes that there isnt a problem.

I mean you can get it for $2.75 at BMW. Sounds like your LHBS is making up thier "loss" on the Notty.
http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/search/safale

As far as I can tell now that we know what to look for nottingham yeast is just as safe as any other. I would expect that they have learned their lesson and have changed their marking process. I just hope they start shipping out the replacement yeast soon.

As far as I can tell now that we know what to look for nottingham yeast is just as safe as any other. I would expect that they have learned their lesson and have changed their marking process. I just hope they start shipping out the replacement yeast soon.

That is all well and good, unless you buy online, where you cannot inspect the packets.

I can get SafAle here for $2... and my LHBS charges $2.30/lb for crystal malts, so they arent cheap by any means. Is it Safale - Lallemand (sp) that is jacking the price, or the store? That is over double what I pay...

FWIW, IMHO... Id rather spend an extra buck on yeast, than lose an entire batch because I am rolling the dice with Nottingham. People have reported problems with more than just this one batch #, so I am not going to risk using Notty just because the mfg. sayes that there isnt a problem.

I mean you can get it for $2.75 at BMW. Sounds like your LHBS is making up thier "loss" on the Notty.
http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/search/safale

I'm going to say this came from the company or some intermediate distributor. If the store had done it, they would have marked up their entire inventory - but they didn't (and it's really just not that kind of place). They sold off their Safale stock that was about $2.50 or so before putting out the inventory that was higher. I stocked up so I am OK for now.

If it was a distributor, then there is a work-around - buy elsewhere. If it was the company, then the higher prices are in the pipeline for everyone, so if you like Safale, think it over and consider stocking up.

Back