nottingham graff attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonsai4tim

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started a 5.5 gal batch of graff on 3/3

2 pounds amber LME (added to 1 quart of water, boiled 20 minutes)
5 gal. apple juice
Nottingham yeast (at 70 F)

OG 1.070

Its down to 1.015 and has been stable for 4 days at this level. Its cleared dramatically in the last 3 days.

If the SG remains stable for another 3-4 days can I assume fermentation is done and bottle?

I'm assuming I caramelized more of the wort boiling it in that small of volume.

thanks

tim

Maybe. Bottling it could also cause it to start fermenting again. I think it is in the safe zone for bottle carb (some one else needs to verify this), but it would go dry then. Are you okay with this?

I'm not particularly in a rush, but with beer I've made, once the SG is stable for a week, its usually safe to bottle. I wasn't expecting it to get below 1.000 because of the amber LME.

tim

I'm not particularly in a rush, but with beer I've made, once the SG is stable for a week, its usually safe to bottle.

True... but cider gets better the longer you wait to bottle and the longer you wait to drink it.

It is possible I'm off base here, and I keep hoping that posting will bring this thread to the top and someone else can confirm or denounce me.

Well it stabilized at 1.010 (but my hydrometer is off by 0.005, so actually 1.005) and I bottled it. so far tastes very good--a little tart, but not completely dry, very similar to bottled cider I've had in the past.

t

Back