Nottingham Ale Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHeadGrady

Reaction score
I used nottingham yeast yesterday for the first time (11g pack).
I created a starter like it said on the back of the pack. I added the yeast to 30-32C water as suggested. Let it sit for 15 min without stirring. Then added some of my wort to cool it down slightly as noted. However I didn't let it sit for the full 5min etc as I was running short on time and I am sure I pitched the slurry when it was about a good 5-7C higher temp than my wort.

Anyone else done this? I'm hoping this doesn't mess up the yeast.

This was yesterday at 4:45PM EST. As of this morning at 7:00AM there is a slight layer of foam started. Im hoping this is the kraeusen starting up.
Its fermenting at 18C.

Fingers crossed.

Yes,that'd be krausen starting to build up. It happens that way frequently,ime. It'll start kinda slow for a short time,then all hell breaks loose.

You'll be fine. That temp difference when compared to the significant difference in volume from your batch to your "starter" won't do any harm. Get ready for an active fermentation. Nottingham can be quite vigorous based on my experience.

Thanks guys, thats what I was hoping to hear. Without having used this before I wasn't sure just how sensitive it was etc. I just kept reading that it's pretty intense etc. When I went down to my fermenter this morning and saw just a small layer of foam on top and nothing happening I was wondering if I screwed up the pitch. Its in my Coopers DIY fermenter so I can watch the action.

I also picked up some Nottingham Munich Wheat Beer Yeast and will be making a Wheat beer this week when the wife goes away to the mother in laws. Spring is a couple months away :p

Thanks guys, thats what I was hoping to hear. Without having used this before I wasn't sure just how sensitive it was etc. I just kept reading that it's pretty intense etc. When I went down to my fermenter this morning and saw just a small layer of foam on top and nothing happening I was wondering if I screwed up the pitch. Its in my Coopers DIY fermenter so I can watch the action.

I also picked up some Nottingham Munich Wheat Beer Yeast and will be making a Wheat beer this week when the wife goes away to the mother in laws. Spring is a couple months away :p

I didn't think spring came until June for you guys... :D

I didn't think spring came until June for you guys... :D

Pretty much. You certainly don't want to attempt swimming in lakes before then... The snow snakes have just retreated to the water and are hungry. They sit at the bottom of most lakes until winter then they come up through ice fishing holes and live under the snow. Some even get into our Igloos and eat our Pemmican. Our Anne Murray albums are ok tho. :mug:

Pretty much. You certainly don't want to attempt swimming in lakes before then... The snow snakes have just retreated to the water and are hungry. They sit at the bottom of most lakes until winter then they come up through ice fishing holes and live under the snow. Some even get into our Igloos and eat our Pemmican. Our Anne Murray albums are ok tho. :mug:

Speaking as a proud Nova Scotian, Anne Murray albums are never OK. I think cabin fever is setting in.

Speaking as a proud Nova Scotian, Anne Murray albums are never OK. I think cabin fever is setting in.

It certainly is.

Where's that East Coast pride? haha.

Echoing in log cabins and igloos across the nation during the spring months...

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha! No cabin fever here... In fact, I'm getting spring fever. Usually there is snow on the ground here in January, but tomorrow's high is supposed to be 63F!! (17C...290K...) Almost Lawn Mower Beer weather! I just brewed a cream ale this past weekend.

I used nottingham yeast yesterday for the first time (11g pack).
I created a starter like it said on the back of the pack. I added the yeast to 30-32C water as suggested. Let it sit for 15 min without stirring. Then added some of my wort to cool it down slightly as noted. However I didn't let it sit for the full 5min etc as I was running short on time and I am sure I pitched the slurry when it was about a good 5-7C higher temp than my wort.

Anyone else done this? I'm hoping this doesn't mess up the yeast.

This was yesterday at 4:45PM EST. As of this morning at 7:00AM there is a slight layer of foam started. Im hoping this is the kraeusen starting up.
Its fermenting at 18C.

Fingers crossed.

I read a study that recommended that the slurry temp be within 10-15F of the wort. Funny, I used Nottingham as well Saturday, and it was the first time that I rehydrated dry yeast. I noticed that fermentation kicked in quicker than the last time I brewed this beer, when I just sprinkled the dry yeast in. Also, my ambient temp is about 6F lower this time, and it still started in sooner. I guess there is something to rehydrating dry yeast. Live and learn.:mug:

Yeah I am excited for this. I just wanted a straight up Ale. I mashed 2LB of Pale Malt I had laying around and tossed in 250g of Cara-Pils into a little over 2L of 130 water as an experiment. Did a protein rest at 124 for 30 min, then sparged and raised temp to 158 for 30 min. I took that and then added more water, 500g of DME and did a 60 min boil using Fuggles and UK East Kent Golding leaf hops. When I flamed out I added about 300g of Dextrose and another 500g of DME and a can of Coopers Traditional Draught. Topped up to 25L for an OG of 1042. I wonder what this yeast will do with this mix?

Yeah, there is def some movement in the fermenter. I love these Coopers DIY Fermentors.

I have one of the cooper's micro brew fermenters & a BB ale pale. The micro brew FV isn't quite as see through as the new one. Does a good job at holding pressure though.

Back