Not worried, just curious.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freisste

Reaction score
Saw this in the Hef I brewed yesterday. Not worried because I actually saw this while it was nearly boiling (burned my finger trying to hook it). Also saw some film on the surface that looked like a hop-oil slick. Maybe this is just hop goo stuck together? Or maybe just cold break? Didn't notice until I started cooling.

Thanks in advance.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392319310.193891.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392319379.850815.jpg

Coagulated proteins! You might notice it in a huge recipe more because of the higher quantity of wheat which contains more protein with which to coagulate. It happens in all worts to a greater or lesser degree.

Idk,mine always looked like wet popcorn of varying sizes. That looks like the skin that forms on top of soup that's below simmering temp. did you get any kind of rolling boil going?

Yeah...turkey fryer. No issue getting a rolling boil.

Anyway, as long as I'm not the first person to see some new form of boil-resistant bacteria, I'm not worried.

Thanks, guys.

Neither have I, just thought it was weird.

Although you bring up a good point about the rolling boil. I definitely had a good hot break where I let it foam up to the top of my pot (6+ gallon boil in a 7.5 gallon pot), after which I got a good rolling, splashing boil.

But it was only about 15f outside and I wanted to be able to walk away (not to mention I was nearly out of propane), so I turned it down to the point where the surface was churning, but it definitely was NOT splashing or anything like that. Do you think a lower boil, even with a good hot break, could cause this?

BTW, I also cooled pretty quickly, using an IC to drop to about 100-110, followed by my CFC dropping it to the high 50's.

Being 15F outside Combined with turning it down to what sounds like a simmer,could've given the fridgid surface temps achance to skin it over like that. Just like a kettle of soup,turn it down to "warm",for instance & it skins over in a short time,even though the soup underneath it is still very warm to hot.

Ill keep that in mind for the future. Thanks again.

Sounds like I won't see any negative effects, though? It didn't taste bad (looked gross, but morbid curiosity made me try some of the slime).

I get that all the time on my wort and my beers are great. It starts forming on mine when the hot break forms. Note: on my first response I had a typo. I meant hefe, not huge.

Back