Not sure if fermenting!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackHoff

Reaction score
I started my first ever batch on Saturday (a free pale ale that came with my equipment) and now on Monday I still have not seen any bubbles in the air lock. I kinda panicked and opened the lid of my plastic fermenter to look and I THINK it smells yeasty(similar to a beer smell?) and some gunk on top. I'm just worried it's not fermenting wether from the cheap dry yeast that I didn't rehydrate or maybe I didn't aerate enough to begin with? Any suggestions on what to do? Should I take a hydrometer reading?

Buckets are notorious for not sealing well. That is the likely cause for your quiet airlock. The CO2 is escaping elsewhere. The gunk on top is the krausen so it's fermenting. Leave it at least until this Saturday and then take a hydrometer reading and report back. Be sure to sanitize the crap out of anything that goes into that bucket and resist the temptation to open it again until Saturday. Sounds like you're in good shape so Relax Don't Worry Yada-yada-yada.

Gunk on top = fermentation.

You need to find out where it's leaking. First guess it lid isn't pressed down well enough or airlock doesn't have enough water.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll take a reading on Saturday and report back. Btw I hadn't heard about the vodka in the airlock, guess I know for next time now lol

Btw I hadn't heard about the vodka in the airlock, guess I know for next time now lol

I use Star San in mine since I have it handy when I am putting the airlock/lid on but vodka is perfectly fine too. You can fill it up with vodka/sanitizer when you take the lid off next or just coat some foil in sanitizer to put over the hole while you change out the airlock water at any time.

Buckets are notorious for not sealing well. That is the likely cause for your quiet airlock. The CO2 is escaping elsewhere. The gunk on top is the krausen so it's fermenting. Leave it at least until this Saturday and then take a hydrometer reading and report back. Be sure to sanitize the crap out of anything that goes into that bucket and resist the temptation to open it again until Saturday. Sounds like you're in good shape so Relax Don't Worry Yada-yada-yada.

Yup, especially the yada-yada-yada.

So i just took a hydrometer reading today and got 1.120. So that would indicate that it is fermenting if my starting reading was 1.485, correct? It smelled like beer and i tasted it and its not bad lol i had originally wanted to switch to my glass carboy for the second week of fermenting but it seems a lot of people dont suggest this especially for first timers? what do you guys think? it would be fun to see the beer before i bottle it, also it would have less sediment in it before bottling right?

What are you taking readings with?

Typical gravity readings would be less than 1.100. Is it suppose to be 1.049 and 1.012? Those would be normal readings, but I'm thrown off how you got the 5.

Regardless, people do advise against secondary as do I. You're fine leaving it in there. Next time just ferment in the carboy. THAT'S fun to watch all the yeas ties going crazy.

Lol yeah my bad I was reading that part wrong on the hydrometer I forget a 0 in there, thanks for the clarification though

Latest posts

Back