Not so "Great Stuff"???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIM_Tattoos

Reaction score
So last night I decided to fill the lid of my Gott cooler MLT with "Great Stuff". I left it for a few hours to let it expand and broke away any excess on both sides of the hole. I check it out today and it had leaked more and there was a small amount still stuck to the bottom.

Any way to clean and still use this? Or am I SOL?

Lacquer Thinner works for me, that stuff is a PITA to get off of anything period!!! Just be careful that you don't soak it in a strong solvent, just rub it on with a rag or something, the Lacquer Thinner will eat through the plastic if you soak it.

yup, there was a guy on here who applied masking tape around the hole and then use a razor to cut away the excess. Preperation is really needed when working with this stuff cus it can get everywhere fast.

I was that guy! I cover anything in masking tape that I do not want perminantly covered with the foam, I also wear latex gloves because getting it off your hands can get interesting, and let it dry for at least 24 hours before messing with it. I have used like 22 cans of the stuff making halloween props or plugging mouse holes over the years and have learned to plan for a mess and how to clean it up.

I agree with Brew-boy, put on a paper mask and sand it smooth, no worries

First time I used that stuff I was working under a house and didn't know what I was in for. I wiped the excess away from holes w/ my hand then crawled on my hands and knees out from under the house. I had red clay stained hands for a week. I had to let my hands peel for it to come off.

Hands? Any good moisturizing cream will work under the bits and remove them. It also helps to apply it before working.

No I didn't try to remove it immediately. I tried soap first, then mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, gas, steel wool and it wouldn't come off. Now I use nitrile gloves and keep lacquer thinner close by whenever I use the stuff.

Back