Not Carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heineken

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgium Triple recently and split the batch (2 x 2.5 gallons), one with Trappist yeast and one with Witbier to experiment with the yeast. I bottled both batches and equaly split the priming sugar between the two batches.

The Trappist batch carbed fine and is great. The Witbier batch won't carb. Its been bottled for 4+ weeks at 70ish temp and its completely flat.

Any ideas? At this point, I'm going to just put in my keg and force carb but I'm at a loss at why one batch carbed fine and the other not at all. I've never had a problem with carbing bottles. Could the yeast have gone dormant for some reason? any thought? thanks.

What yeast did you use for the wit and what is your ABV? Maybe you reached the alcohol tolerance for that strain and it's having a hard time, unlike a trappist strain which should be very alcohol tolerant.

Chickypad, Good idea but I appear to be within the limits.

I used Wyeast, Belgian Witbier, 3944. My ABV is just over 9%. Here is the information on the yeast on their web site.

Temperature Range: 62-75F, 16-24C
Alcohol Tolerance: 11 to12% ABV

The yeast seems to have gone dormant for some reason and I'm not sure how to get it active again. At this point I"m going to keg but still would like to know why it happened.

Latest posts

Back