Northern English Brown cool-fermenting (11C/52F) - thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renstyle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 open spots in my keezer, and will be out of town for 3 weeks.

Going to fill one of them with a BoPils using Saflager 34/70.
Will pitch 2 packs cuz that's what I have.

Going with a traditional lager fermentation:

Primary — 11°C/52F — 20 days
D-rest — 17°C/62F — 3 days

Now what to fill the remaining keezer spot... I have 2 pk of Nottingham, which per the mfg recommends 14-21°C (57-70°F).

I'm leaning toward a Northern English Brown - Newcastle-esque, 4.7%. I'm curious to see what differences in esters and aroma come out (if any) by fermenting this cool.

Anyone done similar before?

I did a couple porters and a brown ale at 50-54 this winter. Seasonally my cellar is that temp each year. I used Safale 04 English Ale, with no problems as far as the yeast's ability to ferment that low. I found the low temps softened the aroma profile personally, which I liked. I have to admit the porters had some issues (thick, viscous, chocolate situation) but not because of the yeast. The brown ale was fine, again I'd say more subdued. Not bland though, just mild, to my unsophisticated nose.

I did bring the carboys upstairs to sit near 70 F for a couple days just in case it was sliggish, but this was unnecessary. My SG was the same after the rest.

I plan to use the yeast next winter as well since this trial went smoothly.

I had read somewhere that low temps might equally stress the English ale strain and cause off flavors or more esters, but I didn't find that in my experience.

Also my OG was around 1.055 and I pitched from both dry yeast and a starter. It also worked similarly well in a couple ciders of similar gravity in those temps.

Nottingham works just fine at those temps. Imho that's actually where you want to use that yeast, up to 15 degrees celsius. I don't enjoy the esters it produces, and the low temps keep it nice and clean.

You could use W34/70. Early this year I brewed an Irish stout with it in the 50s; turned out pretty good.

Back