New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When people are referring to softcrashing here they are doing to drop the yeast out of suspension. That way they can dryhop with a greatly decreased amount of yeast present. so when they fully crash to serving temps later, the yeast will not strip any hop oils from the dryhop with them.

You can fully crash to serving temps to drop yeast if you choose but then it’s too cold to dryhop with great results. So you’d have to warm it back up to do so.

Softcrashing vs serving temp crashing has s bigger impact on commercial breweries. Takes a lot less time and energy to crash their volumes down to 50-55 versing 34. That’s where softcrashing came from

Great explanation. Cheers.

For the last couple of hoppy batches I've crashed to around 38, warmed then transferred to keg with spiess and CBC-1 yeast.

My newest NEIPA brewed with Amarillo, Simcoe, Motueka and Kohatu hops. I used Imperial yeast Loki, their Kveik strain pitched and fermented at 95 degrees.
It looks great! I hope other brewers share their results with kveik NEIPA, cause I can't get other hyped yeasts like 1318, however I have Hothead Ale on hand just now. Cheers!

My micro IPA, turned out pretty good for my first attempt.
Only 3.5% and a malt bill of Vienna, Oat Malt and splash of Carared. Only Mosaic and Vic Secret hops.
Great BBQ beer that I can drink 5 of and only get a bit tipsy

upload_2019-7-24_0-3-21.png

Dude, don't give up! Grab a growler from Southern Heights this weekend (because you can) and let's figure it out. Give us the ingredients and temps and procedures. Lots of folks with a lot more experience than me, but I bet we can diagnose.

I like banana, btw, so maybe it could be a good thing! Hybrid IPA-Hefe?!

This reminded me.. never followed up on the Austin trip I asked for tips on. I visited Southern Heights and it was legit. I’m not a huge sour guy, but they had a raspberry fruited sour that weekend that was one of the best beers I’ve had. Their NEs were solid, def best I could find in ATX. Also visited Hi Sign and Pinthouse (their Electric Jellyfish is solid).

Thanks for the recs!

Possibly - I am going to go work through the Crisp malted oats first and to see if improved.

To be honest the driving force for me to drop wheat malt was not the Janish book per se but rather what they actually do at Sapwood. Snipsnap (2R, flaked oats, chit); Pillowfort (2R, malted oats, chit), Rings of Light (2R, GNO, chit), Cryovolcano (2R, chit, flaked oats), Cheater Hops 1&2 (different now - 2R, flaked wheat, chit, C10)
Did you ask at the brewery which grains they used?
Michael commented on the snipsnap post on his blog it had malted wheat.

Folk in this thread may find this video from BrewCon Leeds of mild interest (but not a must-watch) - it's by Will Longmate from the UK division of Barth-Haas talking about flavour profiles of hops :

He did a second talk which was more of an extended advert for all their hop derivatives - BBC, oils etc. (and the first 10 minutes is pretty much identical to the first talk).

Some of the other talks on the BrewCon channel may be of interest - for instance Andy Paterson mentioned in passing that Lallemand are aiming to release a bacterium and two dry yeasts per year, a kveik and another NEIPA yeast, ???presumably a dry version of 1318 London Ale III???.

It looks great! I hope other brewers share their results with kveik NEIPA, cause I can't get other hyped yeasts like 1318, however I have Hothead Ale on hand just now. Cheers!
Use it! And don’t be afraid to pitch at 95+ also the recommended amount t of yeast is a teaspoon or tablespoon (can’t remember which) of yeast slurry per 5g batch, otherwise you’re over pitching lol

Use it! And don’t be afraid to pitch at 95+ also the recommended amount t of yeast is a teaspoon or tablespoon (can’t remember which) of yeast slurry per 5g batch, otherwise you’re over pitching lol
Just finished running kviek for a 3rd beer. I’m happy with it. I still like A24’s profile better but Horndival (omega 091) has some great pineapple notes to it. Just crashed the yeast and getting ready for the first round of dryhop later today, I’ll report back with the final product

Last edited:
Yeah Dgallo, let us know the outcome beer.
I also have used kveik in another beers.. its awsome! Planning to use it the next NEIPA as well.

My suggestion would be Columbus hotside with galaxy 2:1 and dry hop galaxy:citra 1:2. You could def incorporate Columbus dryhoping aswell
Took your advice and brewed this with the following grist:

8% flaked oats
8% oat malt
8% White wheat
4% Golden naked oats
balance 2-row
yeast: pillaged from a Back Country Brewing can which is Escarpment Labs 1318 according to them.

I've never used oat malt and lately I've been staying away from flaked oats and just using white wheat so I decided to switch it up. While it is a great beer, it is absolutely not what I was expecting. Mouthfeel and body is great, fantastic aroma, but the flavor is incredibly floral, which I would have not expected. Did that come from the columbus? I was hoping for more dank, which it really is not.

Also - all of the talk of about Sabro...

Simcoe, Citra, Sabro at 3:3:2 dryhop is phenomenal
(Simcoe & Citra whirlpool at 3:3)

The Sabro added a subtle woody/vanilla background flavor that balances the Simcoe & Citra very nicely. This is a keeper recipe.
Now that I've got my hands on Sabro, may try this unless I can be convinced otherwise.

Took your advice and brewed this with the following grist:

8% flaked oats
8% oat malt
8% White wheat
4% Golden naked oats
balance 2-row
yeast: pillaged from a Back Country Brewing can which is Escarpment Labs 1318 according to them.

I've never used oat malt and lately I've been staying away from flaked oats and just using white wheat so I decided to switch it up. While it is a great beer, it is absolutely not what I was expecting. Mouthfeel and body is great, fantastic aroma, but the flavor is incredibly floral, which I would have not expected. Did that come from the columbus? I was hoping for more dank, which it really is not.
That amount of Columbus should have given some dank, so it’s possible its old(getting to the end of last year’s crop) or the lot it came from didn’t produce a lot of dank. That’s a shame. Glad it came out good though

That amount of Columbus should have given some dank, so it’s possible its old(getting to the end of last year’s crop) or the lot it came from didn’t produce a lot of dank. That’s a shame. Glad it came out good though

I think this is very indicative of homebrew ingredient quality.

I’m starting to think a much better way to approach various hop focused recipes is to brew seasonal....buy seasonal and ensure proper storage from the get go.

Just bought a bag of Nelson from my local and I’m probably not going to use them due to lack luster aroma...they smell of dry grass more than they should.

I think this is very indicative of homebrew ingredient quality.

I’m starting to think a much better way to approach various hop focused recipes is to brew seasonal....buy seasonal and ensure proper storage from the get go.

Just bought a bag of Nelson from my local and I’m probably not going to use them due to lack luster aroma...they smell of dry grass more than they should.
Agreed. I had a bad batch of mandarina recently but I just got some of the best mosaics I’ve ever worked with. Slight dank with some really forward blueberry notes.

@ihavenonickname
I have a this set up. I will open the cap and run the co2 on the liquid post after it’s at just below the the surface so it will repurge the headspace after it for 20 seconds I’ll recap it
7F116CE7-5F5B-413D-8073-83C9F83101BD.jpeg

2019.JPG

2019 Galaxy from Yakima Valley....
All Galaxy...Emily:

2.5 gallon batch
5 gallon total volume

Ca: 60
Mg: 5
Na: 40
Cl: 100
So4: 100

R.O. Water

80% Rahr 2-row
15% White Wheat Malt
5% C20

156 mash for 30 min
160 mash for 30 min

5.35 mash ph
170 mash out

Adjusted to 5.2 pre-boil ph

.65oz. Galaxy at 60 min for 58.2 IBU's

.6 grams Whirlfloc at 0 min
3 oz. Galaxy at 0 min

Chilled to pitching temp
Aerated
1318 2nd gen starter pitched

O.G. of 1.065
F.G. of 1.016

10 days ferment

Day 3....Dry hopped at 1.20...2 oz. Galaxy
Cold crash to 58 for three days

Transferred off yeast into purged keg.
Dry hopped with 3 oz. Galaxy at 62 for two days

Crashed for 4 days at 40.
Transferred to purged serving keg to carb at 44 degrees @ 14.5 psi for 2.5 volumes.

Dank....passion fruit....creamy....herbal....tight bitterness. Soft.

View attachment 637579

All Galaxy...Emily:

2.5 gallon batch
5 gallon total volume

R.O. Water

80% Rahr 2-row
15% White Wheat Malt
5% C20

156 mash for 30 min
160 mash for 30 min

5.35 mash ph
170 mash out

3 oz. Galaxy at 0 min

Chilled to pitching temp
Aerated

O.G. of 1.065
F.G. of 1.016

10 days ferment

Transferred to purged serving keg to carb at 44 degrees @ 14.5 psi for 2.5 volumes.

Looks great! Is the 5 gallons pre-boil volume? On what day did you start your 1st cold crash to 58? No hop burn/astringency with the close to 2oz/gallon galaxy dry hop?

5 gallons is total volume....pre mash.

I typically end up with @ 3.5 gallons into fermenter plus starter volume of 1 liter.

1st cold crash was on day 10.

No hop burn what so ever. It ends up being less than 2 oz. per gallon due to losses....probably @1.5 oz.

Last edited:
I too, like @leesmith didnt get any hop bite from 2019 Galaxy from Yakima. I really think it was a solid crop. Hopped at a lower rate than him since it was a single hop pale ale, but it had great passion fruit notes and not overripe or past ripe notes that I’ve gotten in the past from galaxy.

Alright here was a first for me; A no boil, DME Double NEIPA

Name: Johnny Cash (rule breaker)

Fermetables;
6lbs Pilsner Lite DME
3 lbs Golden Lite DME
1 lbs Bav. Whear
2 lbs flaked Barley steeped @160

All 2018 mosaic hops from YVH

dechlorinated tap water and made adjustments (this was the wrong call I’ll elaborate later in this post)

Brew day was 2 hours in total will chilling and clean up. Which was awesome since I have a 5 month year old and a first time dad lol

Yeast: Omega 091 - Horn. Kviek
OG: 1.081
FG: 1.014
Abv: 8.79%
Extract to glass in 8 days. Beer hit FG in 52 hours though.

Steeped flaked Barley for 30 at 160

Brought wort to 180* for 30 mins for a 5 oz whirlpool and to pasteurized.

Cooled to 100*f and pitch 1/2 pack of kviek. Over built a starter with the other 1/2 for future use

Soft crashed to 50* to drop yeast 36 hours. Warmed to 60;

1st dryhop 3 days til keg 2.5 oz Mosiac pellet & 1 oz cryo

2nd dryhop the same 1.5 days til kegging

Impression;
This is actually a good beer, it’s not great but certainly something you can do in a pinch for an upcoming party or event.

Mouthfeel is not quite there. I probably should have used carapils verse flaked since it’s not a mash and I completely overlooked the lack of enzyme creation in flaked grains since they are not malted. I also overlooked water chem. I adjusted my water as I was brewing an all-grain beer and totally didn’t think about that Briess adjusts their mash when making extract until afterwards. There is a touch of over mineralization and leans more towards S04 and calcium IMHO. flavor is good but anyone who has ever used quite a bit of Mosiac knows what I mean when I say, there’s a little too much Mosiac in it (but as a single hop I should have expected this). I will definitely be working on this again down the road because I truly believe it can be a great beer if I make the proper revisions.
27A42DB5-9607-49B5-A9F3-3615251D9B0F.jpeg
FA7BC6D9-C069-403B-9830-EE7DE0F77671.jpeg

Very cool - you’ve got me inspired to try a similar experiment.

Dissolve DME at 160 in all RO, steep 1 lb of malted wheat and 1 lb of malted oats for 30. Bring to 180 and add 6-7oz of bagged hops. No chill. Dump the whole thing into SS bucket to cool overnight with the hops.
At 95-100C, pull the hop bag, squeeze it out(!), pitch a tsp of kveik.
At FG drop the yeast a dry hop as usual and keg etc etc.

Are we getting lazier or smarter?

View attachment 637579

All Galaxy...Emily:

2.5 gallon batch
5 gallon total volume

R.O. Water

80% Rahr 2-row
15% White Wheat Malt
5% C20

156 mash for 30 min
160 mash for 30 min

5.35 mash ph
170 mash out

3 oz. Galaxy at 0 min

Chilled to pitching temp
Aerated

O.G. of 1.065
F.G. of 1.016

10 days ferment

Did the galaxy come with a lot nr to check data with yakima tools?

apparently cal ale can ferment at 60F... i did a soft crash to 60F for 5 days, dry hopped and my beer is vigorously fermenting again. oh well...

I have been following this thread for some time now so I thought I would share my experience. 2 1/2 weeks ago I was planning a brew using the Two Hearted ale clone grain bill and method but changing the hops to Citra and Amarillo. Then I wondered what would happen if I took the same grain bill, added some flaked oats and used a hopping schedule similar to what you all have been discussing. It worked out very nice and is tasting very good. This after carbing in bottles for 4 days at around 80 degrees F. It should get better over the next couple weeks. Honestly I was a little surprised it carbed as well as it did in that short time but I guess that is due to the warm temperature.
upload_2019-7-28_15-46-43.jpeg

It is actually yellower than the picture looks due to lighting.
Start with 6.2 gallons water
4 gallons into fermenter
60 min mash at 152, BIAB
1.064 down to 1.013

7.25 lb, 68% pale 2 row 1.8L
27 oz, 16.7% German Vienna 4L
15 oz, 8.7% Flaked Oats (Quaker quick)
8 oz, 4.7% Carmel 10L
5 oz, 2.9% CaraFoam 1.8L

10g Amarillo FWH
15g each Amarillo and Citra at flame out down to 170 over 10 min
28g each A&C at 165 for 10 min
28g each A&C dry hop for 5 days after fermentation finished.
Imperial Juice at mid 60's, after 4 days up to upper 60's

I don't have CO so I did not do any crashing. Bottled at 69F
I bottled directly from primary into bottles with 1/2 tsp table sugar each.
Filled bottles to 1/2 inch below rim and used oxygen absorbing caps.

in reference to @Dgallo 's fermentation vessel, I built one over the weekend and threw in a batch of A24 fermenting wort. A few things I learned about building one of these and what they do under pressure.

1. I decided to use the floating dip tube, and bought a "pressure kit" for a fermentasaurus because it had the gas and liquid ball lock towers for less than piecing one together.
2. The fermonster PET container's floor "bows out" under 15 psi. This caused it to rock in my mini fridge (I got kicked out of the larger fridge in the basement by my wife so I had to source a new temp controller) and kick open the door. I was around to fix this.
3. Due to the shape of the fermonster changing under pressure, I need to cut and design a round "mount" with a hole in the middle. This will support the vessel when the floor of it balloons out.
4. I decided to dry hop it this morning. Gravity has dropped to 1.052 from 1.062, and the yeast is rolling. Pressure is steady at 15psi.... what do you think happened? I wasn't thinking and after blowing off the pressure I pulled the lid, at which the krausen decided to "boil over" the lid, causing the dry hops I just tossed in and the yeast to gunk up the o-ring of the lid. Cleaning this quickly with sanitizer was a trick further complicated by the floating dip tube.
5. If you are planning on building a fermonster based pressure vessel, do not get one with the spigot at the bottom. This container will not tolerate any holes in the side of it under pressure.

There is finesse with a pressure vessel like this. Sealing the ball lock posts is easy. Use sanitizer water to test your work (leaks bubble the water under pressure). Also check your spunding valve for leaks (I made it from these parts sourced from either this thread or another one, and it works quite well)
Pressure gauge
1/4" Tee
1/4" Flare to NPT for the ball lock post
Adjustable pressure valve

I use this in conjunction with a Fermentrack raspberry pi based controller with a Wemos based iSpindel wireless hydrometer in the vessel. This plus a mini fridge and IR heating bulb are a great economical alternative to a Flex+ or CF5 plus glycol systems, which I dream about someday doing.

Big thanks to @Dgallo and @Loud Brewing for the info for this build.

20190728_225030.jpg

Last edited:
in reference to @Dgallo 's fermentation vessel, I built one over the weekend and threw in a batch of A24 fermenting wort. A few things I learned about building one of these and what they do under pressure.

1. I decided to use the floating dip tube, and bought a "pressure kit" for a fermentasaurus because it had the gas and liquid ball lock towers for less than piecing one together.
2. The fermonster PET container's floor "bows out" under 15 psi. This caused it to rock in my mini fridge (I got kicked out of the larger fridge in the basement by my wife so I had to source a new temp controller) and kick open the door. I was around to fix this.
3. Due to the shape of the fermonster changing under pressure, I need to cut and design a round "mount" with a hole in the middle. This will support the vessel when the floor of it balloons out.
4. I decided to dry hop it this morning. Gravity has dropped to 1.052 from 1.062, and the yeast is rolling. Pressure is steady at 15psi.... what do you think happened? I wasn't thinking and after blowing off the pressure I pulled the lid, at which the krausen decided to "boil over" the lid, causing the dry hops I just tossed in and the yeast to gunk up the o-ring of the lid. Cleaning this quickly with sanitizer was a trick further complicated by the floating dip tube.
5. If you are planning on building a fermonster based pressure vessel, do not get one with the spigot at the bottom. This container will not tolerate any holes in the side of it under pressure.

There is finesse with a pressure vessel like this. Sealing the ball lock posts is easy. Use sanitizer water to test your work (leaks bubble the water under pressure). Also check your spunding valve for leaks (I made it from these parts sourced from either this thread or another one, and it works quite well)
Pressure gauge
1/4" Tee
1/4" Flare to NPT for the ball lock post
Adjustable pressure valve

I use this in conjunction with a Fermentrack raspberry pi based controller with a Wemos based iSpindel wireless hydrometer in the vessel. This plus a mini fridge and IR heating bulb are a great economical alternative to a Flex+ or CF5 plus glycol systems, which I dream about someday doing.

Big thanks to @Dgallo and @Loud Brewing for the info for this build.

View attachment 637866
Any specific reason you’re keeping the pressure so high during fermentation?

Any specific reason you’re keeping the pressure so high during fermentation?

I've got a deadline on this beer. 8 days into a keg and cans for a work trip where I'm seeing an old friend. I wish I had gone Kveik on this to plow through it, but didn't get a good line on sourcing it in time. So I'm rolling this at A24's peak of 74F and praying for a day or two to settle it out at 64F.

So the idea is to carbonate it while fermenting. And keep it that way through the 2-3 day keg dry hop (depending on when the gravity finishes out).

I've got a deadline on this beer. 8 days into a keg and cans for a work trip where I'm seeing an old friend. I wish I had gone Kveik on this to plow through it, but didn't get a good line on sourcing it in time. So I'm rolling this at A24's peak of 74F and praying for a day or two to settle it out at 64F.

So the idea is to carbonate it while fermenting. And keep it that way through the 2-3 day keg dry hop (depending on when the gravity finishes out).
Gotcha. I think you’re better off removing the spunding valve and letting it ferment without pressure. Fermenting under pressure higher than 5 psi makes the yeast work slower and produces less esters. Or run it even hotter, say 78-80 so it speeds up under pressure.

I'll check the gravity when I get home. If it's not on a path to completion in the next few days, I'll jack the temperature. I think I'll leave it at 15psi and see how A24 reacts. Unfortunately, this is the first time I've used this yeast, so I don't have a baseline to compare it to yet.

Thank you for this info.

I'll check the gravity when I get home. If it's not on a path to completion in the next few days, I'll jack the temperature. I think I'll leave it at 15psi and see how A24 reacts. Unfortunately, this is the first time I've used this yeast, so I don't have a baseline to compare it to yet.

Thank you for this info.
If my memory serves me well, pressure above 5psi is deadly to yeast.

If my memory serves me well, pressure above 5psi is deadly to yeast.

got a source for that? Hard to believe when it's floccing well and eating so much. If I go home and it's a dead vessel, I'll believe you. But at 15 psi this morning that thing was roaring.

got a source for that? Hard to believe when it's floccing well and eating so much. If I go home and it's a dead vessel, I'll believe you. But at 15 psi this morning that thing was roaring.

Depends on the yeast strain I’d bet.

The white labs strain says to ferment at 1 bar (~15 psi), so clearly not all yeast die at that pressure.

With that said, my impression of high pressure fermentation, was to be able to use lager yeast at warm temps without ester formation and faster fermenting. I don’t think you want lower esters in your NE IPA though? And I don’t think it will speed up a regular ale yeast, maybe at 80-90F?

So far it's been fermenting at a linear rate, similar to 1318. If it slows I'll ramp the temperature 10 deg every day until it stops. I'll halt at approx 90F. I don't have time to screw around with this one

I'm down from 1.063 to 1.042 on 36 hours of active fermentation. 24 of it ripping.

I'm not to worried so far. The Ester production may be down but I'll need to brew a normal A24 batch to compare it to. I just want this well carbed as soon as it is out of dry hop.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190729-163041_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190729-163041_Samsung Internet.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 70
So, I posted a question about GABF a couple of weeks back... Turns out I missed the presale cutoff for AHA members. Would anyone be kind enough to share you code if you’re not going this year?

I too, like @leesmith didnt get any hop bite from 2019 Galaxy from Yakima. I really think it was a solid crop. Hopped at a lower rate than him since it was a single hop pale ale, but it had great passion fruit notes and not overripe or past ripe notes that I’ve gotten in the past from galaxy.

Likewise on 19 galaxy from Yak. Incredible aroma, no burn, with only a small amount in dry hop along with some mosaic.

waiting on my 2019 galaxy from YVH for my next batch, with all this dry hop talk i was thinking of dry hopping them loose. I have always bagged them, but wanted to try to get better utilization with the fresh stuff. I just wanted to know how you guys who do dry hop loose remove them. What works good. I dont want to screw it up. I typically dry hop for only 3 days. I use a conical FV so it should help with removal. I have always been nervous to try this way. Please any tips that work good or a link to a past thread on this.

Latest posts

Back