New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on a re-brew of the most recent recipe Brau posted but want to eliminate Citra. I'll also be adding 4 oz lactose as some have been trying. I would like to keep Galaxy and maybe Mosaic or just Galaxy and change out the other hops. What would be some good hops to pair with Galaxy and to stay true to the NEIPA style?

Just my preference, but I think that Mosaic is the quintessential hop for the style. So Mosaic + Galaxy would be very good.

Just my preference, but I think that Mosaic is the quintessential hop for the style. So Mosaic + Galaxy would be very good.
I like Galaxy and Mosaic. just really looking to replace Citra with something else. But Galaxy is really expensive now so may opt to replace that too if I don't have enough in the freezer.

I’m a fan of equinox in this style, I never got that green pepper taste that some say they get. Ive heard it’s from using it in the boil which I have never done, WP and DH only.
Did you use Equinox in place of Citra? Never used it. May try and get some to try.

I like Galaxy and Mosaic. just really looking to replace Citra with something else. But Galaxy is really expensive now so may opt to replace that too if I don't have enough in the freezer.

Galaxy is probably the hop I use least in this style...

I think any combination of Mosaic + any other fruit forward hop (Azacca, El Dorado, Amarillo, Citra, Ekuanot, any Australian hop) will be great.

I’m a fan of equinox in this style, I never got that green pepper taste that some say they get. Ive heard it’s from using it in the boil which I have never done, WP and DH only.

I have used equinox in the boil for blondes and pales ales and have not gotten the green pepper thing.
Did you use Equinox in place of Citra? Never used it. May try and get some to try.

I would say equinox's flavor and aroma is closer to mosaic than citra, maybe less complex and not as fruity. I like it by itself and think it pairs well with citra.

Well, here she blows after 18hrs force carbed. Cleary, by far, the best NEIPA attempt. My gravity feed closed loop system needs work and a low flocc yeast like 644 isn't the way to go I think, clogging, but I'm on the path. Went conservative water with calcium at 69, sulfate at 53, choride at 93. Feels very creamy but kegged at 1.016 so...she didn't finish as predicted. I'm having surprise family visiting this week so that's why I rushed it. Learned a lot about the setup which is a good thing. Will keg hop next time with Cryo Hops.

20180208_120923_Film1.jpg

One of my favorite breweries - Other Half in Brooklyn - add lactose to all of their NEIPAs that I really enjoy. Only noticed it when I was at the taproom in Brooklyn and saw stars next to some of the beers. At the bottom of the tap board the star meant the beer contained lactose. I brewed a variation of the beer recipe @Braufessor posted a few pages ago. Added lactose post boil; started a cold crash this morning (day 10). If it's a dinger I will let everyone know.

I used 1 lb of lactose in a similar recipe to make a mango milkshake IPA and I absolutely loved the creamy juicy mouthfeel. It was more of an enhancement to the average NEIPA mouthfeel than a full on "milkshake". I'd like to start experimenting with adding smaller amounts to this recipe. I was even thinking about mashing on the lower side and maybe even adding sucrose to dry the beer out, and then bump it back up with lactose to add creaminess without making it too thick.

I'm planning on a re-brew of the most recent recipe Brau posted but want to eliminate Citra. I'll also be adding 4 oz lactose as some have been trying. I would like to keep Galaxy and maybe Mosaic or just Galaxy and change out the other hops. What would be some good hops to pair with Galaxy and to stay true to the NEIPA style?

1:1 Galaxy Azacca was a big hit when I brewed this recipe with it. Mad Fermentationist has a NEIPA recipe that uses Galaxy & Simcoe. I have 1:1 Galaxy El Dorado carbing up in my keg right now, so I'll have to post an update when its ready. I think Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo, Ekuanot or Motueka would all work as well.

I used 1 lb of lactose in a similar recipe to make a mango milkshake IPA and I absolutely loved the creamy juicy mouthfeel. It was more of an enhancement to the average NEIPA mouthfeel than a full on "milkshake". I'd like to start experimenting with adding smaller amounts to this recipe. I was even thinking about mashing on the lower side and maybe even adding sucrose to dry the beer out, and then bump it back up with lactose to add creaminess without making it too thick.

1:1 Galaxy Azacca was a big hit when I brewed this recipe with it. Mad Fermentationist has a NEIPA recipe that uses Galaxy & Simcoe. I have 1:1 Galaxy El Dorado carbing up in my keg right now, so I'll have to post an update when its ready. I think Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo, Ekuanot or Motueka would all work as well.
Definitely post an update when ready.
I have some Galaxy but not sure if it's enough to include and really don't want to pay $30 for a pound.
I do have Simcoe/Mosaic/Azacca/Amarillo as well as some other citrusy hops I can use. Just want to remove one hop and add another just to see the difference. The last NEIPA I brewed (12/26/17) followed Brau's latest recipe (post 1418 I think). The finished product had an oniony aroma and flavor. It dissipated after a week or two and now it's pretty good. But funny thing is I tried one from a local brewery that used citra and it had the same type or aroma/flavor. And to be honest, I'm getting burned out on citra anyways.

Honestly I use Citra in almost every IPA I make, Ive only had a problem with it once when I went a little heavy on it and the beer was good for the first 2 weeks then took on a catty/cat piss kind of aroma (also keg hopped). I used that same batch of Citra in other beers and never got that flavor. That being said, I made a equinox/galaxy NEIPA that was quite unique compared to the fruit bombs I had been making. Liking those results, I make a galaxy/Nelson NEIPA that I absolutely hated. Equinox has a unique flavor that’s hard to explain and it is very pungent, I can easily pick it out when drinking a beer that has it. It seems to be a love it or hate it hop. Brulosophy has a good write up on it.

There seems to be some bad Citra in the supply chain at the moment, either some 2016 that's been badly stored or (more likely I think) some 2017 that was harvested at the wrong time or had the wrong weather. I've seen a spate of reports of oniony Citra in the US & UK just in the last few weeks that one didn't see before.

Something like Mosaic/Simcoe/Vic Secret would be a good alternative if looking to get away from Citra and Galaxy(hard to find/$$$).
Thanks Brau. What ratio would you go with Mosaic/Simcoe/Vic Secret? same as the ones used in your latest NEIPA recipe?

Something like Mosaic/Simcoe/Vic Secret would be a good alternative if looking to get away from Citra and Galaxy(hard to find/$$$).

Heh - not sure Mosaic, Simcoe or Vic Secret are really the way to go to save money, they're the same or more than Citra here. ;-)

If that's your aim, I've mentioned this before but still not got round to testing it. Bravo is not the most interesting hop - it's sold as a bittering hop - but it's dirt cheap and does have a shedload of terpenols, which could be good substrates for biotransformation if added as a whirpool or early dry hop. I doubt you'd want it as the main hop but think of terpenoling in the same way as bittering hops are there to contribute specific chemicals to the mix at a specific time in the brew. There's some interesting compounds in Summit as well, but I'd be more wary of Summit in general, particularly if avoiding onion is part of the criteria...

Thanks Brau. What ratio would you go with Mosaic/Simcoe/Vic Secret? same as the ones used in your latest NEIPA recipe?

I would either just go 1:1:1 or if you wanted to try to showcase Mosaic or Vic Secret, you could do the 3:2:1 with simcoe as the 2 and either mosaic or vic secret as the 3 depending on which one you wanted to try to emphasize.

Ha - yeah - I am only comparing to Galaxy as far as price - that one can be crazy expensive.

Not so much of a difference here in the UK - the big-name proprietary US hops are about 90% of the cost of Galaxy. It's been interesting watching Galaxy climb to the top of the tree, even if it's a bit less than Nelson Sauvin in 2017, which was the most expensive at my regular shop last year.

OT for this thread but the interesting one here is EKG, which has been shooting up in price despite a good harvest this year - the wholesaler I monitor now has it at more than Cascade and about 2/3 of the price of the Citras etc - it's only a couple of years ago that it was more like 1/3 of the price of the big US hops. I guess the bad UK harvest last year emptied the cold stores and has concentrated a few minds, last year I know commercial brewers who were even getting shorted on Challenger of all things.

I'm trying out the Trillium method of hopping right now, which is all Columbus in the boil and whirlpool and then one big 6 oz dry hop of something more typical like Citra, Mosaic or Galaxy. With Columbus at $10/lb this easily knocks $5 off the cost of a typical batch.

I'm trying out the Trillium method of hopping right now, which is all Columbus in the boil and whirlpool and then one big 6 oz dry hop of something more typical like Citra, Mosaic or Galaxy. With Columbus at $10/lb this easily knocks $5 off the cost of a typical batch.

Curious where you found that Trillium only uses Columbus in the WP?

I've been away from this discussion for a while, but I just tapped my latest NEIPA (my standard recipe) using Azacca, Bravo, and Citra (I call it ABC).
Smells and tastes like pineapple juice!

The color turned out a few shades lighter than my normal (which is usually the same color as Julius, after which it was modeled) because this was my first LODO NEIPA.

I'll try to post a pic tonight.

I've been away from this discussion for a while, but I just tapped my latest NEIPA (my standard recipe) using Azacca, Bravo, and Citra (I call it ABC).
Smells and tastes like pineapple juice!

The color turned out a few shades lighter than my normal (which is usually the same color as Julius, after which it was modeled) because this was my first LODO NEIPA.

I'll try to post a pic tonight.
Interesting. I've only done the citra, galaxy, mosaic (4 batches, different ratios).

I'm looking for more mango and pineapple, less citrus (glass of orage/tangerine juice is what I get from CMG, not bad by any means, just not what I'm hunting).

My introduction to the style and still favorite is M-43 by old nation brewing, a local to me.

Next batch will use their yeast, but I suspect it's nothing special, probably one I've tried already (1318, 007, and s04. I know those last two are the same, but the way things went, it was easier to reuse the s-04 slurry I had.

I digress. Going to try citra, Amarillo and simcoe next, as that a what's on their label, but I'd love to up the pineapple and down the mango (m43 is mango upfront, pineapple lurking in background).

Idk if it’s true but I have heard that as well and most clones you find seems to follow that info.

yeah, I've seen that recipe. FP is very much more a standard pale-ale in my opinion. It doesn't clear but I wouldn't call it one of these juice bombs either. 8oz total hop bill is pretty modest and par for a good pale I'd say. I think most of these people are around the 12-14oz total hop bills.

I'm looking for more mango and pineapple, less citrus (glass of orage/tangerine juice is what I get from CMG, not bad by any means, just not what I'm hunting).

My introduction to the style and still favorite is M-43 by old nation brewing, a local to me.

I digress. Going to try citra, Amarillo and simcoe next, as that a what's on their label, but I'd love to up the pineapple and down the mango (m43 is mango upfront, pineapple lurking in background).

Well, my original version was modeled after Julius, which that and Green, also by Treehouse, are my absolute favorite NEIPAs. This one was not so much modeled after them, but rather was an experiment on a different hops profile.

In case you're interested in trying it, here was my hopping regimen:
Boil hops: None
Flameout: 1 oz Azacca, 1 oz Bravo (no whirlpool or hop stand - just pitched in at flameout and remained through chilling)
At Yeast Pitch: 1 oz Azacca, 2 oz Bravo
At High Kreusen: 1 oz Azacca, 2 oz Citra
Keg hop: 2 oz Azacca, 1 oz Citra
Yeast: Used Imperial Juice for the first time and LOVE it!

Obviously I am heavy on Azacca, which is my favorite hop for NEIPA if you are going for tropical fruit. All the fruit of Galaxy and none of the dankness it can sometimes give.
FWIW though, the resemblance to pineapple juice on this one is not subtle. It hits you over the head. It's the first and clearest aroma and flavor you pick up.

Final note: a floating dip tube is absolutely essential in this beer with this much hops. No sludge, just glorious juicy NEIPA 10 days grain to glass.

Just kegged a double IPA version. Clocked in at 7.8%. Grain to keg again in 7 days. Working well.

2-Row
golden Promise
Flaked oats
Golden oats

Hops- 19oz total. 3oz Citra. 8oz mosaic. 8oz galaxy.

Low bitterness. Juicy AF. Definitely found my favorite malt bill so far. Color wise it’s spot on for what I’m looking for.

IMG_0661.jpg

Boil hops: None
Flameout: 1 oz Azacca, 1 oz Bravo (no whirlpool or hop stand - just pitched in at flameout and remained through chilling)
At Yeast Pitch: 1 oz Azacca, 2 oz Bravo
At High Kreusen: 1 oz Azacca, 2 oz Citra
Keg hop: 2 oz Azacca, 1 oz Citra
Yeast: Used Imperial Juice for the first time and LOVE it!

Obviously I am heavy on Azacca, which is my favorite hop for NEIPA if you are going for tropical fruit. All the fruit of Galaxy and none of the dankness it can sometimes give.

Is this a 5 gallon batch? I may try less whirlpool hops like this next time because I'm still getting more perceived bitterness than I'd like.

I don't have much experience with them, but I did Citra/Mosaic/Azacca on my current batch and MAN do I ever love the smell of Azacca. I feel like it flies under the radar; you don't hear much about them. However, they smell amazing and I plan on using it a lot more.

Just kegged a double IPA version. Clocked in at 7.8%. Grain to keg again in 7 days. Working well.

2-Row
golden Promise
Flaked oats
Golden oats

Hops- 19oz total. 3oz Citra. 8oz mosaic. 8oz galaxy.

Low bitterness. Juicy AF. Definitely found my favorite malt bill so far. Color wise it’s spot on for what I’m looking for.

What does the GNO add it? How did you add the hops to get that low bitterness? Looks great.

yeah, I've seen that recipe. FP is very much more a standard pale-ale in my opinion. It doesn't clear but I wouldn't call it one of these juice bombs either. 8oz total hop bill is pretty modest and par for a good pale I'd say. I think most of these people are around the 12-14oz total hop bills.

Yeah I definitely agree, I usually use 12oz in 3.5 gallons. I’ve seen a couple other clones floating around but I’m sure they are not “official” clones. The one time I tried all Columbus FO/WP the beer came across as more of a west coast/east coast hybrid, Citra/mosaic DH with Conan yeast. A bit more bitter and drier than usual, even with 25% flaked grains.

What does the GNO add it? How did you add the hops to get that low bitterness? Looks great.

Golden oats add a little nutty flavor. But also they take the place of c10. Which gives the golden/orange type color IMO. Realizing I left a couple things out.

2-row- 59%
Golden promise- 12%
Flaked Oats- 12%
Golden Oats- 12%
Carapils- 6%

Hop schedule.-

30min- .50oz CTZ

Flameout/180- 2oz mosaic. 2oz galaxy. 1oz Citra.

Dry Hop #1 at about 36hrs post pitch- 3oz mosaic. 3oz galaxy. 1oz Citra.

Dry Hop #2 24hrs after dry Hop #1- 3oz mosaic. 3oz galaxy. 1oz Citra.

Left all dry hops in the entire time.

Kegged on day 7.

Interesting. I've only done the citra, galaxy, mosaic (4 batches, different ratios).

Next batch will use their yeast, but I suspect it's nothing special, probably one I've tried already (1318, 007, and s04. I know those last two are the same, but the way things went, it was easier to reuse the s-04 slurry I had.

Denali is pure pineapple. Vic Secret is dank pineapple mango

Curious where you found that Trillium only uses Columbus in the WP?

As others have mentioned, that's just how all the clone recipes are written:

https://byo.com/recipe/trillium-brewing-company-sleeper-street-clone/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/trilium-melcher-street-clone.582962/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/trillium-vicinity-clone.586971/

Trillium lists the ingredients for all their IPA's and I think Columbus is in just about every one. I know the brewer is pretty open about sharing knowledge so I am assuming this came from him at some point but I don't have a direct source.

Is this a 5 gallon batch? I may try less whirlpool hops like this next time because I'm still getting more perceived bitterness than I'd like.

I don't have much experience with them, but I did Citra/Mosaic/Azacca on my current batch and MAN do I ever love the smell of Azacca. I feel like it flies under the radar; you don't hear much about them. However, they smell amazing and I plan on using it a lot more.
Yes, it's a 5 gal batch.
This is the first one where I've used no boil hops, and I cut back from 3 to 2 in the whirlpool, but I got a little more bitterness than expected too, so there's room to throttle back.
Here's the Pic:
DE8DA363-8536-4AF4-BC31-DBD12F73D162.jpeg

Yes, it's a 5 gal batch.
This is the first one where I've used no boil hops, and I cut back from 3 to 2 in the whirlpool, but I got a little more bitterness than expected too, so there's room to throttle back.
Here's the Pic:
View attachment 557342

Looks delicious man.

Dang, still bitter with only 2 oz?! My current batch which is almost ready to keg I added 6(!) at 170F whirlpool and 6 dry hop day 2. Could it be because you're adding at flameout and the temp is still relatively high? Also those are fairly high AA hops. A local brewery has done a great job with the NEIPA, lots of big Mosaic/other flavor with almost no bitterness. I don't know how they do it. I suppose I'm going to have to A) Dial down the whirlpool charge and/or B) Decrease whirlpool temp even more until I figure this thing out.

I should clarify:
The bitterness is light, but I’m going for super low because my GF is Bavarian and doesn’t like bitter beers. She like the fruitiness of NEIPAs though, so I’m trying for something like 20 IBU perceived.
If I had to estimate, it’s about 40 now.
And yes, these are super high AA Hops.
And yes, the high temp at flameout May be a factor, but my chilling setup gets me from boiling to 70f in 13 minutes, so it’s not spending much time there at all.

Did a "NEIPA" with US05.
RO water with 2:1 Cl:SO4
Fermented in a keg, after 4 days i added a spunding valve then after 10 days i put it in the kegerator and carbed it with it's own CO2 and used the remaining 10-15psi pressure to tap it so i am quite sure it did not get oxidized. I serve from the fermentation keg.
OG: 1.061 (95% 2Row, 5% C60)
FG: 1.014
0.7oz Loral @60 (according to the calcs that was 25 IBU)
1oz Loral @flameout
3.5oz Mosaic&Wai-Iti dryhop during fermentation

The problem is that i think it is still a bit too bitter for a NEIPA.
Did i used too much bittering hops for a NEIPA? Or it is caused by my process? (i think we can say that my water and dissolved oxygen levels are good)

Did a "NEIPA" with US05.
RO water with 2:1 Cl:SO4
Fermented in a keg, after 4 days i added a spunding valve then after 10 days i put it in the kegerator and carbed it with it's own CO2 and used the remaining 10-15psi pressure to tap it so i am quite sure it did not get oxidized. I serve from the fermentation keg.
OG: 1.061 (95% 2Row, 5% C60)
FG: 1.014
0.7oz Loral @60 (according to the calcs that was 25 IBU)
1oz Loral @flameout
3.5oz Mosaic&Wai-Iti dryhop during fermentation

The problem is that i think it is still a bit too bitter for a NEIPA.
Did i used too much bittering hops for a NEIPA? Or it is caused by my process? (i think we can say that my water and dissolved oxygen levels are good)

I use only .25 ounces and then nothing till 160F in a whirlpool.

Hands down the best beer I've made, super dank and fruity at the same time. Very much what I like in an IPA and NEIPA. When I do this again I will cut down the Galaxy because they just punch me right in the face, had 17.8% AA for my galaxy hops.

Unfortunately, I had to siphon this beer :'( fermented under pressure @15PSI with a spuding valve, dry hopped with pellets, 2 screens on the dip tube but it still clogged. After fighting with it for 2 hours trying I had no choice but to siphon if I wanted to drink the beer.
  • Batch Size - 2.75
  • Efficiency - 58% (Brewhouse)
  • Two-Step Mash (on Picobrew Zymatic)
  • Mash - 146F for 40 mins 157F for 40 mins
Grain Bill
  • 3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 36.3 %
  • 3 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 36.3 %
  • 12.0 oz Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 9.1 %
  • 5.3 oz Barley, Flaked (3.3 EBC) Grain 4.0 %
  • 5.3 oz White Wheat Malt (4.7 EBC) Grain 4.0 %
  • 2.5 oz Honey Malt (49.3 EBC) Grain 1.9 %
  • 8.0 oz Corn Sugar (0.0 EBC) Sugar 6.1 %