Nook-based iPad-controlled Tap Handles - video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfista

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Finally posting my first DIY project on the board. It is a three-tap kegerator using Barnes & Noble Nook Simple Touch e-Readers as tap handles. The e-Readers are great as they can display an image while on low-power sleep mode for about a month or so, and can be purchased for about $30-40 on ebay or craigslist. I like to prepare graphics for my beers but was growing tired of the analog process of printing/cropping my black-and-white images.

I may do a write up of all the back-end technology I used, but what I've done is an over-complication of what could be an easy process. I've built a website on a raspberry pi, and done some ssh/scp trickery to upload the image. Most of this was done for fun/challenge. However, the NST's can pop out of their instamorph clips pretty easily and you can simply attach them to a computer to upload the new image into the screensaver folder.

Future plans are to dissect a Wii Fit Board and use it to measure the weight of each keg and report it to the server which would update the graphic to display the amount of beer left. I may also look into developing an Android application to do more of the work locally. However, it is easier to come up with projects than to have time for them.

I'll happily answer any questions maybe this will evolve into DIY guide if there is interest.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back