Noobie Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnsen

Reaction score
OK.......my packet of Montrachet wine yeast...says to rehydrate yeast in 1/4 cup of water...(I used water and Must)...anyway it says for best results rehydrate between 100-105 F wich I did...soooo I am lookijng at the Jack Keller page and is says yeast die at 105 degrees f (almost to the bottom of the basic step page step 2)...so now I am confused.......my wine is fermenting nicely so I am not concerned...but what about future batches...rehydreat @ room temp or flirt with instant yeast death @ 102 degrees ?.....Tom

I personally would follow the instructions on the yeast pack as they are all going to vary from company to company and strain to strain. If you don't have those or want the general rule I use, 80*F 3/4cup of sanitized water (I use my microwave) sprinkle on top and leave it alone till its all sitting nicely on the bottom of the cup. Then stir and pitch.
Sounds like you are well on your way.

Cheers
Jay

Follow the packets instruction.

I never rehydrate my yeast. I just sprinkle the dry yeast.

Taken from Scott Labs fermentation handbook:

Proper yeast rehydration is one of the most important steps to help ensure a strong and healthy fermentation.
Normal inoculation for wine active dried yeast is 2 lb/1000 gal (25 g/hL or 1 gram per gallon).

When added properly, a 2 lb/1000 gal (25 g/hL or 1 gram per gallon) addition of wine active dried yeast results in an initial cell concentration of 3-4 million viable cells per milliliter of must/juice. Under favorable conditions, the initial cell population may increase up to 100-150 million viable cells per milliliter of must/juice before growth stops and alcoholic fermentation begins.

This biomass increase is critical for healthy fermentations.

When harvesting grapes at high maturity levels (this results in higher brix or higher starting gravity), increased inoculation rates are recommended.

When using higher rates, be sure to maintain a ratio of 1 part yeast to 1.25 parts yeast rehydration nutrient (We normally use Go-Ferm or Go-Ferm Protect for our Hydration nutrient, it ensures that the proper nutrients and vitamins are introduced BEFORE the yeast is added to the must. This way 100% of the nutrients are available to your selected yeast strain and won't be stolen away by any indigenous yeast or bacteria that may be present in the must before your yeast can become established.)

Careful rehydration, atemperation and inoculation are all important to help prevent sluggish or stuck fermentations

Sorry for the long winded post, but I wanted to make sure that you understand how rehydrating the yeast properly can make the difference between a very healthy and successful fermentation that can bring out the characteristics that you desire in your wine, and a wine that is just "ok".

Latest posts

Back