Noob Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

te3b0r

Reaction score
Hello all! Been lurking for awhile now and looking to build me a keezer using this http://bit.ly/hfd0sJ. To be 100% honest my Carpentry skills are well, kinda sucky and I have very limited tools at my disposal. My main question is what is the bare minimum tools that I can get by with on building a collar?

Bare minimum DIY for a collar:

1. Have the lumber cut to length when you buy it. Measure the freezer carefully and make a sketch of the collar.

2. Use butt joints instead of miter joints at the corners. The butt joints are much easier and also stonger.

3. Gorilla glue or some other urethane glue (follow the instrcuctions, you need to wet the surfaces with water for it to work right).

4. Sanding block & variety pack of sandpaper.

5. Long wood screws for the corners. 3" would be good. You could also glue and nail the corners which is what I would do. You can easily conceal the small nail holes and once the glue sets, that 's what will be holding it together. The glue is stronger than the wood, so if you do it right, it will hold just fine.

6. I would paint the collar vs staining it. Pine and similar soft woods don't take a stain very well. Paint can look good and it can cover a lot of minor defects in the wood and/or workmanship.

7. Take care to make sure that the collar frame is square and level. Sight down each board and avoid any with excessive crown (curvature of the narrow edge) Too much of an arch and the collar will not sit flush on the freezer and the lid wont' seal well to the collar.

8. A tape measure and screw drivers (blade & philip)

9. Paint and paint brush

10. A hammer (you probably already have one)

11. If you plan to install shanks and taps, drill the holes in the boards before you put the collar together. Makes it much easier to drill the holes accurately.

That's it. You are just building a small 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 frame. This is about as easy as it gets with wood working. Trust me, skip the mitered corners and save yourself some grief. Sanded and painted you won't notice the difference anyway and the butt joints will look much better than sloppy mitered joints packed with wood filler.

Back