Noob mistake, making sure im ok!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklordenron

Reaction score
So i was brewing a "ginger beer" (alcohol flavored with ginger, not soda. Goes without saying?) its basically a pale ale with some adjuncts and a hop boil. Anyway, as i was dumping my white labs liquid yeast in, my hand jittered because a bug bit my arm. I had about 10-15% still in the vial, but the rest went right into the keg. Drat, an overpitch.. Am i ok here? No visable signs of fermentation yet, but it has only been 7 hours since sealomg her up. Very cloudy final wort, never used liquid before today and this will likely be my last mrb experience before buying some big boy equipment. Just feeling a bit restricted ordering supplies when a hbs is around the corner. 40+ bottles at a time doesnt sound too bad either! (if anyone wants to put in suggestions on what to buy, thanks in advance!)

Tell me I'm fine!

Not sure what you're getting at here... You added a whole vial of yeast to your fermented?

Can you provide some details? Recipe, ingredients, final volume, OG? I make 4 liter starters for my lagers, the final volume of yeast slurry is usually 500 to 1000 mL. I wouldn't worry about it.

MeatyPortion said:
Why wouldn't you pitch the whole vial? Did I miss something?

You missed about as much as I did, the point of the original post.

OP, please clarify, no one knows what you're trying to say

Ah, just reread. I think he spilled 10-15% of his yeast.

If that's the case, you'll be fine. You will still have beer in 6-8 weeks

"this will likely be my last mrb experience before buying some big boy equipment"

I think he was pitching a vial into his Mr. Beer kit (mrb). Because of the smaller volume, he is thinking that he needs to pitch less than the full vial of yeast. Because he pitched 85-90% of the vial, he is afraid that he has over pitched.

RDWHAHB

you will be fine.

:mug:

IMO you should always pitch the entire vial. Even in a smaller batch. Liquid yeast has a lot lower cell count than advertised, so unless you're making a starter it's very unlikely that you've overpitched.

Pitching quantities more than the recommended amount can actually be beneficial in regards to reducing esters and fusels (to a certain extent). Of course, way overpitching can cause problems too, but you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Ah, just reread. I think he spilled 10-15% of his yeast.

Yea, seriously. It's not a foreign language. I was heavily intoxicated, thus ranted. It sucks you cant understand my drunken language, i'll refrain from posting while drinking in the future. Regardless, all the info is all in the first couple retarded sentances.

IMO you should always pitch the entire vial. Even in a smaller batch. Liquid yeast has a lot lower cell count than advertised, so unless you're making a starter it's very unlikely that you've overpitched.

Pitching quantities more than the recommended amount can actually be beneficial in regards to reducing esters and fusels (to a certain extent). Of course, way overpitching can cause problems too, but you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Thank you.

Darklordenron said:
Yea, seriously. It's not a foreign language. I was heavily intoxicated, thus ranted. It sucks you cant understand my drunken language, i'll refrain from posting while drinking in the future. Regardless, all the info is all in the first couple retarded sentances.

Haha don't worry about it, this is a homebrew forum, drunk posting and rambling is sort of expected.

drunk posting is ok. i understood what you were saying. like the others said. probably didn't over pitch, but if you did a little it would still be fine.

It's just that the vial's instructions were to pitch the entire thing into a 5 gallon setup, so i thought i was supposed to use half. Thanks for putting my mind to ease. It still isnt doing much fermenting, been a good four days since pitching. I have mild sediment on the bottom but it doesn't look like its that active. But, i do understand all fermentations are different. I'll wait and see, but my brand new 5 gallon equipment is calling my name!

Back