Noob kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfk69

Reaction score
Alright, I'm a kegging noob. I got a basic system set up and kegged my first beer, let it chill, and then put it on gas with the "set and forget" method at 12 psi (Hopslam clone). No problem there. My second beer I split an RIS and put it into a smaller 3 gallon keg. Here is where the "problem" started. When I sanitized, I had so much foam left from the Starsan, that I couldn't see the dip tube for the gas in, and apparently got the beer slightly above it. When I hooked up the gas in, I got some beer in the gas line. As soon as turned the gas on, it pushed the beer back in the keg, and I had a VERY little residual in the line (less than an ounce probably). My questions:

1. How bad is this going to be?

2. Should I hook it up and dispense a pint or so of beer to get rid of the excess?

3. Should I take the gas in line off and flush it out?

The beer was in the line for less than 12 hours, tops, when I noticed it and turned the gas on it push it back into the keg. Did I F up and ruin anything? I've got almost 6 months into that RIS, the sample tasted FANTASTIC, and I was really hoping for something special with it. Any advice above and beyond my questions above? Thanks in advance. I promise to be more diligent.

You'll be ok.

I personally would remove enough beer to have the gas in dip tube cleared. If you can easily remove the gas line and rinse it out with arm water and then sanitizer go for it. If there is a lot of effort, I wouldn't worry about it.

I once did the shake and roll method of carbing my keg and something hit the pressure relieve valve on the co2 regulator and beer come up the line and was spraying out the pressure relieve valve. I still haven't cleaned it out and that was probably a year ago, No issue thus far.

Back