Noob from Stillwater, Mn area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sennister

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am new to the site. I am not into homebrewing yet but I just picked up a kegerator, have some questions about that and will likely start brewing in the spring. My cousin was pretty big into HB and has all the equipment and is a member of some of the home brewing associations. He has offered to get me started so I plan on taking him up on that.

Welcome! I echo the comment earlier about getting started now. You want the cooler winter months to control fermentation temps (room temp 60-64 is best). Also you might as well take advantage of our cold groundwater when you're cooling the wort down after boiling. Takes 20 minutes in late winter and 40-60 in summer.

Buy a starter equipment kit and an an extract kit and give her a whirl!

Oh, didn't catch the waiting until spring thing. Definitely brew this winter, the lower fermentation temps help out a lot. I've started brewing in the garage with my turkey fryer, keeps me nice & toasty warm, plus I can smoke a stogie. Win - win - win.

Thanks for the welcomes...

We will have to see what my schedule looks like. I am pretty busy at work now so the next couple months are probably out. I just got a Beverage Air Kegerator that I need to get cleaned up and get into operation. I figured that will take what little spare time I have. On the positive side, as mentioned temps are lower. That is a plus. Motorcycle season is probably about done so I will be storing that for the winter. I have a couple turkey fryers and access to all the equipment needed except the kegs. I have seen them on Craigs List locally for about $35 for used. That seems to be a fair price. I was going to see if I could find a steal but if I get something at $35 that isn't too bad.

For those local any recommendations for supplies? I know about StillH20 in Stillwater. I have been there before and they seem very helpful and a pretty good selection but I wasn't looking for brewing stuff specifically. I think there is a place in St. Paul that everyone goes to but can't think of the name. My cousin has done a lot of brewing so I can see if he is up for a winter batch.

One nice thing is that I do have a root cellar in my pole barn. It stays nice and cool down there all summer so it will be a nice place for storing things.

I would suggest Northern Brewer, or Midwest Supplies. $35 is a great price for a Corny Keg, it's the other kegging stuff that gets expensive.

Carry on.....

I would suggest Northern Brewer, or Midwest Supplies. $35 is a great price for a Corny Keg, it's the other kegging stuff that gets expensive.

Carry on.....

Thanks, I think the guy on CL had a bunch of them. 9 I think I saw last post and he has been posting several times. I don't remember where they were Buffalo maybe.

I will have to check with my cousin. He still doesn't know about my Beverage Air acquisition. I am assuming he only bottles as I know he doesn't have a kegerator now. He has all the needed brewing stuff to bottle. I think he said he normally does a hybrid brew. I need to get up to speed on all the terms. I am new to all of this.

As mentioned above, Midwest and Northern Brewer are great places to buy stuff from. I usually end up being kinda lazy and place a web order from NB. $7.99 flat shipping for just about everything (including kegs). Sometimes they run discounts as well.

$35 for a used corny (if ball lock) is a pretty good price. I bought mine at $40 - 10% disc. They are not going to drop in price, probably ever. At times the supply of used runs out and you see shops selling them for $50+.

Back