No yeast!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnsen

Reaction score
Ahhhh....I cant believe it, I started to brew my Brewers Best kit (american pale ale) this morn...and what do you know, my packet of yeast wich has been in my fridge since x-mas is misssing...I appears it dident survive the last fridge cleaning (damn kids)...anyway my grains are steeping as i type this...so I will continue with brew day, should I ...A) go to the local grocery and get some of that yeast in a packet for baking (red star ) or.. B)transfer into my new big mouth bubbler, put on the airlock...and hit my local homebrew store wich is not open untill tuesday and pitch then?.....The nearest open brew store is an hour drive ....advise me , oh gods of brewing....Tom

B. Keep it as cold as possible until then, this will help inhibit the growth of anything else. I've never done it, but I don't imagine bread yeast to have very good flavor qualities for beer.

Send your wife out for yeast if you can afford it. Otherwise finish your brew, seal the carboy, and keep in a cool spot for pitching on Tuesday.

Using bread yeast will give you a very old-timey beer. You won't like it.

I think i would finish the steep, cool down and place in a fridge to hold until you can get proper yeast. After getting the yeast, then resume brewing process as normal. Will just take a little longer to get back up to boil temp. Using the yeast from grocery store will give you a bready off flavor, not what you want in a APA.

I'm kind of in the same boat today. My wyeast package has not swelled up after 10 hrs at room temp, it is a 6 month old package, so not worried, got it for free. I'll brew next weekend.

I would just cover up your beer and let is cool off naturally. This would save you time and money trying to cool it rapidly. But make sure it's covered well. Once it cools enough I would try to maybe seal the lid with some plastic wrap and just pitch some brewing yeast asap.

If you're really worried about bacteria by the time you get the yeast ready you could always boil it back up for 10 min. RDWHAHB! I'm sure it will be totally fine.

- ISM NRP

Personally, I'd drive the hour to get the yeast today. An hour isn't all that far. While I was there, I'd pick up an extra couple packets to keep in the fridge for next time this happens.

Ahhhh....I cant believe it, I started to brew my Brewers Best kit (american pale ale) this morn...and what do you know, my packet of yeast wich has been in my fridge since x-mas is misssing...I appears it dident survive the last fridge cleaning (damn kids)...anyway my grains are steeping as i type this...so I will continue with brew day, should I ...A) go to the local grocery and get some of that yeast in a packet for baking (red star ) or.. B)transfer into my new big mouth bubbler, put on the airlock...and hit my local homebrew store wich is not open untill tuesday and pitch then?.....The nearest open brew store is an hour drive ....advise me , oh gods of brewing....Tom

Do you by chance have anything presently fermenting?

I learned the hard way...Keep some dry yeast in stock just for this kind of an emergency! I usually keep at least a few packs of US-05 and Nottingham, and a few jars of harvested yeast around, not to mention whatever liquid yeast I use the most frequently.

WOW....a variety of responses...seeing how I was just into the steeping portion of my session...I decided to put my brew pot full of wort out on the deck (its 20 degrees out today)...and pick up a pack of us-05 on Tuesday on my way home..then continue then, I figure the boil portion will kill off anything that might get into my pot, I do a full boil so my pot is covered with 5.34 gallons of wort in it...I think this will be my simplest solution..I cant see driving 2 hrs and a 1/2 tank of gas for a 4 dollar pack of yeast...thanks for all the replies...I am out of panic mode

WOW....a variety of responses...seeing how I was just into the steeping portion of my session...I decided to put my brew pot full of wort out on the deck (its 20 degrees out today)...and pick up a pack of us-05 on Tuesday on my way home..then continue then, I figure the boil portion will kill off anything that might get into my pot, I do a full boil so my pot is covered with 5.34 gallons of wort in it...I think this will be my simplest solution..I cant see driving 2 hrs and a 1/2 tank of gas for a 4 dollar pack of yeast...thanks for all the replies...I am out of panic mode

No. Get three packs.

You did exactly what I would do. I would put the steeped water in the fridge and boil on brewing day once I have yeast.

Back