No yeast, no headaches? Line from tv...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detlion1643

Reaction score
* This is not to spark a discussion about distilling/spirits/etc...

I happened to catch one of the "bonus footage" shows of Moonshiners on Discovery Channel. There was one guy on there that said they don't use "yeast". They used a corn seed that started sprouting instead. The reason - no hangovers???

I thought yeast was mostly vitamin B? Which is actually good for preventing hangovers and good for our health in general. Now, I know I should take the reason with a grain of salt because it's tv, but they seemed pretty sure of it.

I wonder if, besides the guys on tv, anyone has tried this method? Seems like a fun experiment for an empty juice jug some day...

So they basically use malted corn that ferments all by itself? :D

Maybe they're letting wild yeast do the fermentation. But yeast doesn't cause hangovers. You're right about it being a good source of B vitamins, which are actually helpful in *preventing* hangovers or alleviating the symptoms.

On the other hand, too much live yeast can give you gas, or as John Palmer semi-delicately puts it, can have a "laxative effect."

Don't most spirit makers often make a sour mash? Which is usually a wild fermentation. They may not be adding yeast, but that doesn't meant they're not getting wild yeast and other critters in there.

I know about fusels, I've tasted a good bit of rocket fuel. I know that there must've been some type of yeast that would convert sugars to alcohol. I found the line that I heard odd is all and thought I'd see what you guys thought.

I've watched the moonshiner show. I heard them call their malt corn "Yeast". I think that they may be using yeast to describe enzymes to convert starches to sugar. I heard one of them talk about using malted corn instead of a barley.

I suspect that there's a good bit of McGyver in what they film there - the producers may not want to be seen as providing instructions.

It's also entirely possible that those old mountain men don;t even know how it works. And who would care if it does work and they don't know? As much science as we apply to Home Brewing there still is enough superstition to go around.

There are so many inaccuracy's I found watching this show...I guess it was entertaining- but I just had to quit watching it, like many of the other mostly faked reality shows. That American Brewer was an awesome show (Dogfish Head), but Discovery canceled that.

I dunno...I find the premise of the show hard to believe. He's a fire chief of the local volunteer dept engaging in an illegal activity, in which he allows a camera crew to document his activity that carries a lenthy prison sentence. Also, if you notice the camera crew that rides around with the police use night vision for filming night operations. Something I'd expect. Yet the crews with these moonshiner use bright ass lights, etc, but every episode they're always suspicious of attracting attention. Pfft.

Don't most spirit makers often make a sour mash? Which is usually a wild fermentation. They may not be adding yeast, but that doesn't meant they're not getting wild yeast and other critters in there.

Sourmashing is like pouring new wort onto a old batch of yeast. Commercial distillers hold back a % of their spent grain and add it to their next batch of grain. The acid of the previous batch controls bacteria growth in the next batch.

Back