No yeast activity for 36 hours, what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doliss

Reaction score
First time making a stout. Used an extract kit from brewers best. Used a dry yeast that wasn't kept chilled but the room it was in never got above 72 degrees.

OG was 1.042 and its currently sitting around 64 degrees in primary in the basement.

At what point should I consider that the yeast was no good? When I hydrated it I got some bubbles so I think it is ok. Does the heavier beers take longer to show activity in the airlock?

I've had beers take longer to show activity. You could try to gently shaking the Carboy to get the yeast back into suspension. I'd wait at least another day before I think if rep itching.

It's a low SG so that's not an issue.

It takes up to 72 hours to show signs, so definitely no worries yet.

Also, what do you mean by "activity?" If you mean airlock activity, that is generally a poor indicator which can often exhibit false positives and false negatives. Visibly, krausen is probably the best way to know if it is fermenting. As always, the truest and best way to know if it is fermenting or already fermented is by taking gravity measurements.

Guess I'm used to seeing air exchange in the airlock by this point with other brews that I've done. They weren't as heavy though

Let it ride for at least another week or three. Sixty four is a good temp to slow the fermentation to prevent off flavors but the yeast will take a bit long to do its thing.

Counting bubbles is an interesting way to pass time but only a hydrometer will show you were the beer actually is in the process. Give the yeast time to do their job and clean up after themselves and you'll have a fine product in the end.

Run and check the SG and see what it is. Then we can give you specific advice. I know the sticky says "24-72 hours" or something, but I think 36 hours is a good time to take action.

Back