No stress drinking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noob1979

Reaction score
I may be alone in this. I haven't had one drink in over a month. I don't drink when I get stressed. How long have you gone without drinking because of stress or something else?

That is funny... most people seek alcohol when they're stressed. Good for you! I took a month off a few years ago just for the sake of taking some time off. It sucked! Not because it was hard but because I missed the taste of beer and I missed looking forward to having some homebrew.
I took 10 days off so I could get rid of a cold while taking Rx drugs. I'll go a day or two here and there just because I don't feel like drinking or because I just don't have any beer. Not really a big deal either way. I like ending my day with a beer or three but three is usually my max unless I'm watching football. Then it's more like 5 but that's not very often. Two is usually my routine.

Can't say stress makes me want to drink or not want to drink. I guess in the heat of a stressful moment I won't be thinking about a beer but can't imagine that dragging on for a month. Good luck with whatever you're currently dealing with.

I learned many years go not to drink if I'm not in a good mood, or absolutely not to drink under stress or anger. I drank very little in 2014 and 2015 due to some major BS happening at the office and with my family(mom was killed by a drunk driver, my younger brother) and a lawsuit against our company. Things are better now, it's time for a beer.

Difference between stress drinking and normal drinking is when I'm stressed I go straight for the buzz.

I don't get drunk, have only done that a few times in my life and hated it. I go for the mellow buzz and maintain.

When I'm stressed I pound 'em to get there quicker. When I'm not stressed, a majority of the time I drink I hardly even get a buzz.

I generally still have a little bit when I'm having anxiety attacks. Not much, though, since my panic attacks also make my appetite disappear, so I try to eat a little and drink a little.

I usually drink less when I'm sick with a cold. Maybe 2-3 days without beer, tops.

I'd like to say I could stop drinking beer at any time, but I don't want to have to prove it.

(Anyway, a couple of people who know me on the forums can attest I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to alcohol.)

I generally do not binge on alcohol or chemicals with high stress. If I did then I would be pickled/polluted after my divorce. Actually my ex wife passed away in August 2015 from liver failure. She self medicated after a back injury 6 years prior. She was 50.

Everything in moderation with the rare tee-totalling on special occassions.

I just got done doing a month with no alcohol. I guess I shouldn't say none. I allotted myself an exception for "constructive tasting". This included the first beer off my oktoberfest keg and two gravity samples each off of my fermenting porters.

It was easier than I thought, but I really did miss it.

I can't remember the last time I've had a stressful moment and thought, I'd really like a drink. Instead, I eat all the food in sight.

I drink beer because I enjoy the taste. I'll go days without a beer just because I haven't felt like one or didn't think I had something that would go well with dinner.

If I am not in a good mood, I don't drink.

If I am not relaxed, I don't drink.

For me, the relaxation of a beer or glass of wine is to be enjoyed before the first sip - not hoping the sip brings it

I am just the opposite if I had a hard day I want several brews and when I got my first divorce I just crawled in the bottle of jim beam. When I am stressed I don't eat much tho.:mug:

I suppose if I'm stressed out about something like work or whatever, then having a few beers is like a throat lozenge for the head--doesn't fix anything, but takes a bit of the edge off.

I know from experience that if I'm "sad" about something, I have no desire to drink anything.

It's good to know I'm not alone in this. I also don't drink in a bad mood or if I'm feeling down.

My life is loaded w/ stress. I expect to check out some time from a popped blood vessel. My work puts lots of pressure on me, I frequently support 2 or more customers online at the same time while answering phone questions.

I like to have a beer and let the day melt away... I wont even talk about work when I'm not at work. My wife won't even bother asking how my day was.

I do not drink if I'm ticked off. My fuse is already short and I need all the filter I can get. If I didn't drink when I had a tough, stressful day I'd never drink.

My work is typically high stress, so I'll occasionally go home and have a beer after/because of work. I don't think its so much the stress making me drink, more of a "that was a hard day, I deserve something I really enjoy". So typically I'll have one pint, maybe a very small amount more. Which honestly I hardly ever drink more than a pint or two.

Never drink when sad anymore, and i definitely won't drink when angry, because nobody deserves to deal with me when I'm in a crap mood.

Back