No start for starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJoyce85

Reaction score
So, I made a starter for some ECY08 that was 3 months old and nothing has happened after 48hrs. The recommended temp for 08 is 75-85 but we've been having a bit of a cold spell and the room was around 65. I put it in the fridge to separate for brew day and the only glimmer of hope I have is that there is yeast still in suspension after an overnight crash.

Do I pitch and hope it starts (I have a heating source I will use to raise primary to 80) or do I brew the other recipe I have ingredients for?

Thanks for the advice

After 3 months, the yeast should be perfectly happy unless you froze them or stored them at room temperature the whole time. It should be just fine at 65. How do you know there's nothing going on? Have you checked the gravity, or at least tasted the starter? It's possible you just missed the more active part of the fermentation.

I thought the same thing. I both tasted and tested and all signs pointed to nothing. I put it in a warmer room and now there are some CO2 bubbles coming to the surface. It might be just a slow strain. First time using ECY

Yea, I don't have experience with that yeast either, but bubbles are a good sign. You can get it pretty hot- you're trying to grow yeast, not make beer at this point so whatever works.

daksin said:
Yea, I don't have experience with that yeast either, but bubbles are a good sign. You can get it pretty hot- you're trying to grow yeast, not make beer at this point so whatever works.

Luckily I have ingredients for another brew so I'll brew that and order some 3724 as back up if the ECY doesn't take off when pitched. Thanks for the responses.

The wife say that I'm always worrying about the yeast.

Guess it just needed more time (this is day 4)

image-770437213.jpg

Back