No Sprout or Shoots. Time to replant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weisennt

Reaction score
I recently bought 3 rhizomes(Mt. Hood, Sterling, and Cascade). The Mt. hood and Sterling had little white shoots on them and the cascade didn't. The Mt. hood took off like crazy and the Sterling is sprouting nicely, but the Cascade hasn't done anything yet. It's been planted for about 3 weeks so I dug it up to check on it and there were little white roots coming off of it. Will it sprout soon or do I need to plant a replacement? Also it's sitting in my basement right now with a grow light on it and the temperature is probably around 63F.

I'm in Cincinnati and I have multiple plants that vary up to being 4 or 5 years old. None of them have burst through the surface yet if it is an consolation. It just needs to get a little warmer.

I have Centennials that I planted a few weeks ago that are poking through the surface. The Mt Hood still doesn't even have any white sprouts coming off of it. Safe to say it's toast at this point?

Depending on how deep you planted them, how dense the soil is, the existing growth on rhizome, the breed, etc. can determine how long it will take to peak out of the ground.

If you mess around with them and try to dig them up you're going to make things worse and risk damaging bines and roots.

I recently bought 3 rhizomes(Mt. Hood, Sterling, and Cascade). The Mt. hood and Sterling had little white shoots on them and the cascade didn't. The Mt. hood took off like crazy and the Sterling is sprouting nicely, but the Cascade hasn't done anything yet. It's been planted for about 3 weeks so I dug it up to check on it and there were little white roots coming off of it. Will it sprout soon or do I need to plant a replacement? Also it's sitting in my basement right now with a grow light on it and the temperature is probably around 63F.

Weisnennt...Did you get them at Tabletop Brewing by any chance. I got those same three varieties (free at their hops growing class). I planted about a month ago, I think it was. Planted directly outside in the garden. All are about 3-4 inches tall now. Probabaly best if you don't dig them up. That probaly just slows them down as then need to reestablish roots again. Give em time and let em do their thing. You should be fine.

+1 on the waiting. I know its hard to do and excitement is in the air, However if you planted a veggie garden would you be digging the seeds up to see how they are doing? As was also mentioned it is still early.

cincydave said:
Weisnennt...Did you get them at Tabletop Brewing by any chance. I got those same three varieties (free at their hops growing class). I planted about a month ago, I think it was. Planted directly outside in the garden. All are about 3-4 inches tall now. Probabaly best if you don't dig them up. That probaly just slows them down as then need to reestablish roots again. Give em time and let em do their thing. You should be fine.

I did get them there. The mt. Hood is a couple feet now. The sterling was up a few inches but then a storm came through and snapped the sprout so now I'm waiting for them to start again. The cascade still hasn't started sprout yet though.

Back