No secondary fermentation..concerning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ucheckit

Reaction score
I recently added apricot to my wheat brew in secondary and have not had any residual yeast action. I did cold crash before I transferred which could be the root of the problem. Is something to be concerned about? Should I add a touch more yeast?? Thanks as always.

I have added fruit and other fermentables (or what I thought would be fermentable) into secondary and even primary without noticing any additional yeast activity. When I added pineapple one time, I thought I was going to blow the roof off my house with all the activity. Every time all things worked out well...so I would not think it necessarily mean that things aren't working inside.

Based on your recipe, just keep up with the FG readings and try to hit your target numbers.

Checking gravity is the only sure way to know (hopefully you took a SG reading before you put the fruit in), but likely the cold crash dropped the yeast out or slowed them down. If you want to make sure you ferment it all out, I'd throw in more than just a touch of yeast. The already alcohol environment is toxic to them especially if it's a fresh pitch.

Are you bottling or kegging? Not fermenting out could cause bottle bomb issues if you also add priming sugar but if you are kegging, as long as you keep it cold the whole time, you shouldn't have any more activity and should be ok.

Checking gravity is the only sure way to know (hopefully you took a SG reading before you put the fruit in), but likely the cold crash dropped the yeast out or slowed them down. If you want to make sure you ferment it all out, I'd throw in more than just a touch of yeast. The already alcohol environment is toxic to them especially if it's a fresh pitch.

Are you bottling or kegging? Not fermenting out could cause bottle bomb issues if you also add priming sugar but if you are kegging, as long as you keep it cold the whole time, you shouldn't have any more activity and should be ok.

I did take a reading and was close to FG and yes I was going to keg. Wort looks very clear as it is and will crash and add gelatin. It would be a fresh pitch and was concerned with the alcohol as well in the beer as it may cause off flavors.

I have added fruit and other fermentables (or what I thought would be fermentable) into secondary and even primary without noticing any additional yeast activity. When I added pineapple one time, I thought I was going to blow the roof off my house with all the activity. Every time all things worked out well...so I would not think it necessarily mean that things aren't working inside.

Based on your recipe, just keep up with the FG readings and try to hit your target numbers.

Thanks AJ

Latest posts

Back