No Open Pit In Louisiana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
Does anyone have BBQ sauce recipe that tastes like Open Pit Original?

I moved to Louisiana from Wisconsin in January. The other day I was at the store and was going to pick up some Open Pit barbecue sauce. No dice.

Went to a different store. None there either. Same thing at the third place. Hmmm... wonder if they just don't like Open Pit in these parts? Well, I went on the web and checked out Open Pit's website. Strangely enough, turns out OP is a regional product, found pretty much only in the midwest. Weird. I always assumed they were, like, worldwide, or something.

Anyway, here's my problem. My son wants me to make him some chopped BBQ chicken sandwiches. The recipe is very simple, involving only chicken, barbecue sauce, Italian dressing and a grill. The brand of salad dressing doesn't make much of a difference, but it absolutely requires OP Original sauce, or it won't taste right.

I suppose I can order some from Amazon, but what fun is that? If anyone has a good copycat they can share, I'd really appreciate it.

I dont live anywhere near either places but get it here in Ct. I too like that stuff! Its a little thinner then i like but the taste is perfect.

Back