No One Actually Likes Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, I'm sorry. That was harsh. I chose that title to get all the mead lovers in here, ready to fight me about it.

Here is what the title should have said, "I haven't made a mead that people LOVE yet. My beers and my Apfelwein (edworts rather) are loved by the masses in my life, but my meads are usually online grabbed by the people that latch onto the fact that they are high ABV.

That said, I enjoy them, but not as much as other things. I have never even had a mead that I would say was better than 3 out of 5. I've only made 5 that I have actually tried yet. I have 6 others, mostly melomels, that I've still got another few months on.

What are your experiences with meads? Do you find that they are an acquired taste that don't prefer, or are the right ones loved by all? Thanks!

How old is this mead? I don't even think about drinking my mead till it's bulk aged at least a year. I've had mead that took 4 years to get good, but when it got good, it got REALLY GOOD! Think of mead in years, not months. I'll bet if you tuck those meads away for a year or 2 & then have the same people do a blind taste test, they'll rave about it.
Regards, GF.

How old is this mead? I don't even think about drinking my mead till it's bulk aged at least a year. I've had mead that took 4 years to get good, but when it got good, it got REALLY GOOD! Think of mead in years, not months. I'll bet if you tuck those meads away for a year or 2 & then have the same people do a blind taste test, they'll rave about it.
Regards, GF.

I think if you ferment mead at low temperatures (like cider) and you use a less aggressive yeast than champagne yeasts mead is very drinkable in 4 -6 months. You ferment at high temps and you encourage violent fermentation then you may need to wait years...

Latest posts

Back