No More White Labs Vials

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told that a starter is not required for these at all as you get much more yeast. But it also will cost more....

I need to ship my 100 vials in for vouchers!

Part of the new packaging may be because of vials spewing the ingredients if not opened while still chilled. In video....new packaging is more breathable to prevent gas build up.

Curious if those $$ savings will get passed on to us?

Not according to the link in the OP. Seems like it will cost the same. They also say it will be the same package size, which in the context they use sounds like they mean the same number of cells.

From What I've read, I believe there will be roughly the same number of cells if not a tiny bit more and definitely a pack that shouldn't spew. One advantage is that this process is supposed to prolong the shelf life and viability. Maybe smaller starters. ;)

Good. A much needed update!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The savings to the hike brewer will be avoiding a price hike. They answered that question.

Part of the reason I prefer Wyeast to White Labs is because I find those vials to be a royal PITA compared to smack packs (more awkward to store, the spewing vials, etc). So they may get some extra business out of me from this.

There goes my chance at collecting enough vials to brew with Chris White.

Looked at these at NHC, they appear to be very well made. And talking to the White labs folks, the yeast is never exposed to the air so there is virtually 0% chance of anything other than yeast being in the vial. And they won't spew on you when you open them.

There goes my chance at collecting enough vials to brew with Chris White.

According to the FAQs, it sounds like the same rewards will be available by redeeming the new packages. Even better as it sounds like they'll take up a lot less room than the vials.

I wonder if White labs is growing the yeast right in those new packages. Interesting.

From the looks of the video that appears to be the case. They grow it in the package and trim the excess.

Back