no hop aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simie

Reaction score
This is strange: We've been brewing five years and have never encounter this.
After more than a usual mash (a fine amarillo pale ale), sparge, and vigorous boil we cooled the wort to 68 degrees, then we did something new to us. I had a friend make up a paddle with 2 blades at 180 degrees and then another set up from there clocked 90 degrees. Essentually a 4 bladed paddle. We put this into our cordless drill and gave it one HELL of a whirlpool for about 15 seconds almost flinging it out of the brew kettle.Then we let it set for app 20 minutes. We next, like usual began to drain the wort out of the bottom of the brew kettle into our fermenter. With about 4 inches left in the kettle we ran into all kinds of white quagulated snotty looking crap (kind of like egg drop soup). Oh well we hit all numbers and then fermented and again hit our numbers. The beer tasted bitter with no amarillo hop aroma what so ever. We even dry hopped after primary. Did the violent whipping cause something strange to happen to the hop oils. Almost like hydrogenating the hop oils out of solution into a solid. Sorry for the rambling but damn it. No aroma after waiting 3 years for amarillo hops. Bummer..Simie

i aerate the same way (paint mixer attachment for the power drill) and have a problem with getting hop flavor & aroma.

45 IBU, 4 oz of centennial with 1¼ dry hopped and all I get is bitterness. used the hop schedule from the Bell's Two Hearted recipe here on the forums, bumping up the dry hop to get more aroma. didn't help

i was looking at mash pH as the culprit because I also can't get a pale ale to come out any lower than 14-16 SRM.

I definitely wouldnt blame the whirpool invention. That actually sounds pretty cool!! I get loads of snotty crap but isn't that just hot-break material and hops?

What type of hops were you using; pellet or whole? I'm guessing the hop oils were ok because you still got bittering character. I've heard podcasts and read (Palmer) about alpha/beta acids and how they influence bittering/flavor/aroma character--but in my experience if I open a bag of hops and it smells like hops, my beer will also smell like hops.

It's extra unusual that you dry hopped and didn't get any aroma. Never had that happen before... Did you bottle or keg it and how long has it been sitting?

Water chemistry can make a difference on your hop flavor. What is your water source? Has anything changed with that? I used to be on well water and it was hell trying to keep track of the TDS and PH because a good rain storm could completely change the chemistry on a whim. Since you tried something new with how you aerated the wort, brew the same batch and eliminate that step to see the results. If it helps, find a new method to aerate and experiment around.

Sent from my super rad tablet device thingy.

I have one of those stirring tools, but I didn't build it myself. I bout it online here.

I've used it to aerate the wort on IPAs and I still got hop aroma, so I'm not sure what the issue was in your case, but I wouldn't blame the aeration (even though hop oils are fairly volatile.)

Last edited by a moderator:
home depot $6.98

paint stir.JPG

It's extra unusual that you dry hopped and didn't get any aroma. Never had that happen before...
Did the OP wait for the active fermentation to settle down before dry hopping? If not, the CO2 produced could have pushed the hop aroma out of the fermenter.

Brewers: Thank you all for taking the time to respond. This was a 2013 harvest from hop union. Must just be an anomoly. We'll brew it again without beating it so much. We've in the past whirlpooled with a large ss spoon. Back to the spoon. It was an awesome spin paddle though. Maybe we didn't use enough hops, maybe what the hell we may have forgot to dry hop it. Can't understand how we could've forgot that......Maybe it was the sampling during that brew session..Thanks Guys.. Oh it was city water and it's always good especially in the winter here when the highs have been 8 to 12 degrees.
Simie

Did the yeast flocc out before adding the DH? if not that can be one of the causes

My APA"s and IPA's used to be lacking in hop aroma and flavor. I've moved most of my late hop additions to the last 5 minutes, used a bunch more, and rarely dry hop a 5 gallon batch with less than 3-4 oz. It's made a big difference.

Back