No head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefesito

Reaction score
I finish an Anchor Steam about 3 weeks ago. After sitting in the primary fermenter for about a week, I transferred it to the carboy and let it sit for about 3 more weeks. I the added the light DME and bottled it and let it condition for about three more weeks. Now when I crack open a beer, I get that sound like the carbonation is fine, but when I pour the beer, there is no head. There is carbonation, I can see the bubbles coming up the side of the glass, and it tastes fine, but no head. Any ideas what's going on? I suspect it just needs more time. The only thing I've done different than usual is I switched from c-brite to a quat sanitizer, and I used a pump siphon, and I may have siphoned a little of the sediment.

I've never heard of quat sanitizer but if that was the only difference that's a good place to start in looking for your problem. I don't do extract so I don't know about using DME for priming/carbing. I don't know if that's commonly used. I know it's a pain to make starters with.

How long are the bottles in the fridge before opening? The next question will be what was used to clean the bottles (dish soap, oxyclean, pbw...)

fuzzy2133 said:
How long are the bottles in the fridge before opening? The next question will be what was used to clean the bottles (dish soap, oxyclean, pbw...)

I used a quaternary sanitizer for the bottles. This is what hotels and restaurants use to sanitize their equipment in kitchens. It was in the fridge for a couple of days.

I used a quaternary sanitizer for the bottles. This is what hotels and restaurants use to sanitize their equipment in kitchens. It was in the fridge for a couple of days.

is that a no rinse sanitizer? maybe it's inhibiting your beer foam? star san is a safe, no rinse sanitizer that is widely used in the homebrewing community with great success.

Try using starsan instead of the one you used. It's known to be safe and actually helps the yeast during fermentation. Hope this helps.

balrog429 said:
Try using starsan instead of the one you used. It's known to be safe and actually helps the yeast during fermentation. Hope this helps.

Yes it is a no rinse sanitizer. I'll try the starsan next time. Thanks for your help.

Might sound silly but make sure your glass is clean.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/bottomsup/2008/10/28/beer-101-first-be-sure-the-glass-is-clean/

“Finally, in a well-made beer, you have a proper head of foam. It’s an integral part of enjoying a glass of beer.’’
But, Lewis said, the foam often doesn’t last long. And that’s a not-so-subtle clue that you’ve poured your beer into a dirty glass.

Foam is quite stable. If it disappears rapidly, there’s something on the glass that is reacting with foam and killing it, Lewis said.

If you’re in a pub and that happens, you should suggest they take that glass out and smash it, he said. “Make sure your glass is clean, so at least the beer has a chance,’’ Lewis said.

“Foam on beer is a bubble of gas that has escaped; it’s an emulsion of a gassy liquid. Impurities, (grease residues, soap traces, other invisible compounds) on the glass will de-stabilize the foam.

First, run an empty dishwasher with soap through its cycles. Then take all the beer glasses, put them in the dishwasher and wash them twice with soap.

After that, never in the rest of your days, put your beer glasses in the same load with other dishes. And don’t use your beer glasses for anything except beer.

Here are a few more tips, from Professor Lewis and other experts:

Let glasses air dry; if droplets remain or if spots show, it usually means the glass still isn’t clean. Wash it again.

Wash beer glasses in very hot water with a detergent, not soap.

In Belgium, bartenders immerse each beer glass quickly in cold, running water before pouring beer into the glass.

Back