No cold lagering capability....can I do an Oktoberfest??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-star

Reaction score
Hi,

I've done a bunch of ales, and now I'd like to do an Oktoberfest. I don't have any way to lager at low controlled temperatures at the moment, so I'm wondering if this is even possible.

Can I substitute and ale yeast? Can I use traditional lager yeast and let it rip at basement temps (70F)? Am I risking big time off-flavors by trying this?

Just looking for some kind advice from those more experienced. Thanks for any info.

I wouldn't use a lager yeast at ale temps. To do a pseudo-lager you'll probably want to use a neutral ale yeast (1007 is a popular choice) and ferment it COLD, like 60°F or so.

This is a frequent question. A search for "oktoberfest ale" will turn up several good threads.

I've done it with Wyeast: 2565 Kölsch fermented about 60 degrees. You are going to want to find a way to ferment it cooler than 70 though...

I'll let you know how mine turns out.. Brewed it in may, had the 2ndary-carboy on the concrete floor in the corner, coldest spot of the house (60F), and bottled it in july. regular dry lager yeast...

You can make a respectable Oktoberfest that'll fool almost anyone's palate, but you do need to be able to get it down to 60*, 62* at the highest. Using the Anchor Steam yeast with a big starter you'll get a lager-like crispness at lower-ale temps, then you can bottle-condition in your fridge if you want to, but I don't think it'd be necessary. I plan on making my own this way, as I recently got a dedicated fermentation fridge and it's too late to do a true lager.

Thanks for the replies gents. I'm intrigued by the various approaches using ale yeast, but I think it will be tough for me to get it down to even the mid 60's for fermentation here in the baking northeast. The cooler/frozen bottle method sounds like a PITA, to be honest, but maybe worth a shot.

I guess fermenting in the low 70's would be risking too much in the way of off-flavors and esters?

Thanks

You can make a respectable Oktoberfest that'll fool almost anyone's palate, but you do need to be able to get it down to 60*, 62* at the highest. Using the Anchor Steam yeast with a big starter you'll get a lager-like crispness at lower-ale temps, then you can bottle-condition in your fridge if you want to, but I don't think it'd be necessary. I plan on making my own this way, as I recently got a dedicated fermentation fridge and it's too late to do a true lager.

Yeah, why not try White Labs San Fran Lager Yeast? It's a yeast that gives lager characteristics at ale fermenting temps. I brew IPA's in the winter with this yeast and ferment in the low 60's, down to 58. Nice and crisp. Go for it!

If you're ok with going through subbing in 2 frozen water bottles in the morning and 2 at night for a week I think you'd get most of the benefit out of temp controlling with Kolsch yeast. Another post here just talked a lot about how after "active" fermentation is done then temp controlling doesn't matter as much. Kolsch is slow to finish, but it's not too much effort to keep after the water bottles for a few days. White Labs site says it's good up to 68*F. That's my plan at least. I'm 4 days into ferm right now.

Back